Canned Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to move from Kits to recipes and my LHBS has many canned extracts on hand. Papazian says to match the extract to the style (eg. Muntons for an English Ale, Briess for an American style, etc.) but do you all have any eperience with some being clearly better than the other?

My LHBS stocks Briess, Muntons, Alexanders and Coopers. Just looking for some general opinions and any other thoughts about canned extracts in general.

Thanks!

CHECK the dates on the cans !!!

Old malt wil lend a tinny/metallic flavor to your brew.

But to your question, I don't think that it really matters that much anymore. I would but the right style of malt for what you are brewing, wheat malt for a wheat beer.

and try to add the bulk of your malt near the end of your boil. doing so will prevent color change and potential scorching of your brew.

Expiration date, expiration date, expiration date.

Old extract (as I have learned the hard way) will ruin your beer.

Thanks guys, I will keep that in mind. I want to ask some of the people who work there about turnover too.

Back