Cane sugar for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Muskietooth

Reaction score
Just realized I’m out of priming sugar and was going to bottle tonight. Can I use table sugar (cane)? From what I see I just use less? Brewing a Petite Saison with 1.041 starting gravity.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Yes, you can use cane sugar (table sugar). The calculators will (correctly) tell you to use slightly less, because table sugar doesn't contain water like corn sugar does.

As an aside, corn sugar is metabolically a little easier for yeast to deal with, but many (most?) bottlers use table sugar and it works fine.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When you say priming sugar, what priming sugar are you using?

Any fermentable sugar you can get is all you need. Table Sugar, Corn Syrup, Honey, etc. I've just finished up using Agave Nectar that I had to buy a big bottle of to use a few tablespoons for something else.

Some sugars like honey and other sugars with strong flavors will add that to your finished beer. Sometimes good sometimes not so good depending on what your beer is supposed to be.

If you are using the priming dots that are premeasured, then those work, but you don't have as fine a control of how much carbonation you add to your beer. They also up the cost of your beers. Though admittedly not much.

If you use something other than the pre-measured stuff, then use the priming sugar calculators on the various homebrew sites. I recommend you go by weight and not tablespoons or other measures of volume.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I use table sugar all the time.
IMG_20220124_175255.jpg

Gus_13

Cul de Sac Brewer
Reaction score
Yup no worries with table (cane sugar) that's all I use. I don't bottle a lot anymore but when I do it's Saison or Hef. The Hef I use Speise but Saison is always table sugar.

wstumper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there is cane sugar, made from cane sugar, and table/regular sugar, made from sugar beets. True cane sugar is processed less than regular sugar. Usually the bag will say which type. Not much difference chemically.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Well, there is cane sugar, made from cane sugar, and table/regular sugar, made from sugar beets. True cane sugar is processed less than regular sugar. Usually the bag will say which type. Not much difference chemically.

"Table sugar" can be made from sugar cane or sugar beets. Both are "regular" sugar. (Around here, i.e. south central PA, Domino "Premium Cane Granulated" is the table sugar that's most common.) They both come in big bags and are for the same general use. Chemically, they are exactly the same thing (sucrose), if you ignore impurities.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading about a belief some years ago that priming with sucrose creates "cider-like" off-flavors, but I think that's urban legend. Sucrose or dextrose, use what you've got. I don't think you'll notice any off-flavors.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I actually think corn sugar imparts more detectable flavor than table sugar. But both work, with very little noticeable difference.

odie

Reaction score
plain cheap sugar is all I've ever used when bottling. I never bothered with any charts...just a teaspoon per bottle and was good for me.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps, but whenever I follow the charts, the beer is less carbed than I want (and I suspect less carbed than it should be). So I've ditched the charts for a simpler system that actually produces the results I want.

I don't even know what these charts are that you all are referencing, lol. The half teaspoon ratio is good for all the styles I've brewed, but hey you like what you like :)

DuncB

Reaction score
You could invert the table sugar which will make it easier for the yeast to process. But I've never bothered just dissolve the table sugar in boiled water and dose the bottles or cask appropriately.

DuncB

Reaction score
It was easy to do when I needed some and it lasts for ages.

I think I'd rather attend a candy floss making class, sticky fingers for sure.

Latest posts