Candy Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
I'm about to make the leap to AG and doing more experimenting. What flavor/profile does Belguim Candy Sugar give to the brew and when is it added typicly?

I'm pretty sure candi sugar just thins the body, ups the ABV. I could be wrong though. I just used it for the first time and I won't be drinking that brew for another 3 or 4 months.

I couldn't tell a difference when I used it. I think it's just sucrose, so in other words expensive sugar. I think it's made from sugar beats rather than sugar cane though.

I believe if you search HBT or look in Brew Like A Monk you will find that Candi Sugar is just regular sugar in big chunks. I have also seen that the Belgian sugar may be made (or was made) from beets.

In BLAM it indicates that Candi Sugar is usually a liquid that has been carmalized to a degree and it is that caramalization that contributes flavor to a beer.

Back