Candy corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard3589

Reaction score
128 oz. Corn syrup
3 cps. Honey
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice fresh
Kv 1116 yeast 5grams
2 1/2 tsp. Yeast nutrient
2 tsp. Yeast energizer

Makes 5.5 gallon batch
I took 1 gallon of water and brought to low boil then shut off and added honey, syrup and lemon juice and let it cool. While cooling i added 3.75 more gallons of water stirring it into 5.5 g. carboy. Let cool to 70°f then added yeast and yeast nutrient. Put airlock on it. Started real slow so 2 days later i added energizer. A few days later it was foaming pretty good. Still is. 12 days in. It dropped temp a little and slowed down now its gassing through about every 4 seconds and still foamy and bubbly on top. I dont know the starting gravity because i dont have a hydrometer. This is my first try at a mead. Hope it turns out well.
Any advise is welcome

Your next purchase should definately be a hydrometer. Its the best way to tell your ABV when your done, if a batch is done or stalled, and when you need to add nutrients.

Ive never used corn syrup, but it may just add a hot alcohol flavor.

I'm also not sure this is a mead since your only using 3 cups of honey and 8 pounds or 16 cups (not sure if its fl oz or weight), of corn syrup.

Your next purchase should definately be a hydrometer. Its the best way to tell your ABV when your done, if a batch is done or stalled, and when you need to add nutrients.

Ive never used corn syrup, but it may just add a hot alcohol flavor.

I'm also not sure this is a mead since your only using 3 cups of honey and 8 pounds or 16 cups (not sure if its fl oz or weight), of corn syrup.

Mead? Maybe not...

But it will be a "beverage".

Where did you get the recipie?

I would be intrested in knowing how it comes out.

Then again when it does stop bubbling you could give to Billy Joe and I am sure he could turn it in to White lighting...

Honey and Corn syrup sugar wise are pretty indistinguishable***, BUT flavor wise, well that is what makes honey honey and corn syrup a cheap sweatener...

Yeah I'd hessitate to call this mead, and suspect the honey flavor will be pushed off.

***OT a bit, this is why some honey imports to the US have had troubles, it was found that the sellers were cutting honey with corn syrup and not labeling it as such. I recommend people look for local honey producers, people they feel they can trust to not be cutting the honey with substitues.

I would have to agree with you guys on calling it a mead. Stretching it a little bit but wasnt sure what to call it . Candy corn is a good name for it though dont ya think. I got the recipe from a 80+ year old man and its inexpensive so i figured why not give it a shot. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.
And your right it probably would make a good lightning.
Im thinking about trying that grape quick mead on here to.
If you have any ideas on what to call it im all ears. Thanks guys..

And it was fluid ounces of corn syrup i used. A hydrometer is definetely my next purchase.
Like i said ive never tried a recipe like this so we will see.. Once again thanks for the feedback

Well if its to god awful i'll let you know. Either way we'll find out one day wont we. I dont waste i just try. I could try adding some sort of neutral flavoring when i go to secondary. Couldnt hurt. Any ideas?

I saw a recipe once for a Golden Syrup "NotMead", (I assume our golden syrup is something similar to your corn syrup, basically sugar in liquid form) which had spices added to make a methligin kinda thing. Maybe some oranges and spices would add a nice flavour?

I wonder if golden syrup they are talking about is what is available here (see description).

http://www.candisyrup.com/products.html - Golden is a decadent Golden Belgian style Candi Syrup that contributes rich caramel flavors followed by a subtle fruit back-palate. The color is a rich translucent 24 karat gold. Golden is ideal for award winning Belgian Golden Ale's, Tripels, Bier de Garde, Saison, Belgian Blonde, and all lighter Belgian Ale's. Candi Syrup, Inc. is the only purveyor of Golden Belgian Candi Syrup in the United States and Canada.
Contents: Beet sugar, water.
Specifications: SRM - 5, PPG - 1.032
Retail Availability: 1lb pouches.
Commercial Quantities: Yes, contact us here

That sounds more like what i have going. Maybe your right i could add some oranges with peel in secondary before i rerack. Maybe some cinnamon. What do ya'll think?

Latest posts

Back