Candy Corn ...Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
I had 8 ounces of candy corn from Halloween so I figured what the hell, alcohol is the best possible thing this can become.

I tossed it in a jar, added 2 cups lukewarm water and handful of raisins and a packet of Red Star Active Dry yeast. It's been bubbling away for almost 2 weeks now and I've been de-gassing it daily.
It's a deep opaque orange. What's surprising to me is how well the yeast is flocculating.

I doubt this will be good, but who knows. I'll update after I taste it.

An excellent use of candy corn. I wish you the best of luck. I've been looking around for my next experimental teeny tiny batch myself.

So this looks done fermenting and is starting to clear.
Should I cold crash it and then decant it off the lees, or what?

I say get it off the lees at the very least. maybe even let it sit for a week before trying it

Thank you, sounds good. I'll let it clear before trying it so it has a fighting chance.

Tasted it just now. The Red Star bread yeast is a champ, took it fully dry and flocculated pretty well
It's surprisingly not terrible. Tastes like a very plain dry white wine; definitely getting some of the grape flavor. Needs some oak.
The sample I had was slightly cloudy and there was a hint of bread yeast flavor. Maybe the clear liquid I bottled wouldn't have that taste.
20171120_184920.jpg
20171120_185237.jpg
line_1511225416752.jpg
20171228_035932.jpg
20171228_040711.jpg

I'm amazed at the color of that. glad to hear it turned out well. I've been looking for my next experiment myself. Just might peruse a candy wine lol based on the luck you had here.

Back