Candi Syrup (not sugar) and Beet Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
There's a lot of literature out there on making candi sugar. However, not so much on making candi syrup.

Anyone got a recipe on making candi syrup?

Also, I understand that in making candi sugar, you need beet sugar, as opposed to cane sugar. Does anyone know which brand sugars beet sugar? Most of the ingredients I see simply say "sugar" without specifying whether its beet sugar.

Here's a cool recipe put together by someone here. I'm guessing this is invert sugar with various levels of carmelization. I used it on my Belgian Tripel and it turned out great. I added 1/3 of it to the boil at 260F (light), 1/3 at 270F (light amber), and 1/3 at 280F (medium amber).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

As for beet sugar, I can't seem to find the link. But somewhere in this vast internet was a good write up on how to decode the lot codes from sugar packages. I found out my local Cub Foods brand sugar (Twin Cities, MN) was beet sugar processed in North Dakota. Don't know that this makes a difference, but I too wanted it to be as close as possible.

I am going to make some for a caramel ale. Although I discovered that my LHBS has candi syrup in every SRM imaginable!! I have to give a big kudos to my LHBS. Not once have they been out of an ingredient I have needed. Except once and that was a White Labs platinum strain WLP670. So I can't fault them for that.

Syrup is no different in terms of color, sugar content, etc. than solid sugar. It just depends on whether it has been crystalized or not.

You can use the same recipe for both you just need to add more acid to invert and keep it from crystallizing.

The only reason beet sugar is used in Belgium is that they don't grow sugar cane anywhere close to there.

In the US, people prefer cane sugar (not for rational reasons) so if the origin is sugar cane, the package will say so. If it does not specify, it is very likely from beets.

remilard said:
The only reason beet sugar is used in Belgium is that they don't grow sugar cane anywhere close to there.

In the US, people prefer cane sugar (not for rational reasons) so if the origin is sugar cane, the package will say so. If it does not specify, it is very likely from beets.

Actually the normal table sugar in the states is beet as well. Unless it specifically says cane on the package it ain't cane.

From what I gather candi sugar is kind of a rip off unless it's the dark caramelized kind. I haven't really made my mind up about that yet tho.

Back