Candi syrup into primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atvar

Reaction score
Made a belgian dubbel today, and made 1lb of amber candi syrup from the guide on these forums. I just dumped it straight into the fermenter at 240F, and when I stirred it to aerate, I noticed most of it had settled to the bottom. The O.G. was also off by exactly what the candi syrup should have added. Afterward, I decanted off about half of my 2qt starter and tossed in the Wyeast 1214.

Will the yeast eat up those sugars all the same? Is there a better way of doing this?

This is my first time making candi syrup, or even using it. It's also the first time I bothered making a starter, so I was doing a lot of winging it.

If you add the syrup to the last few minutes of the boil it will dissolve throughout the wort. Was the wort in the fermenter already cooled when you added the candi? If so, it could have cooled the syrup as it went in and caused it to just sink as one big mass. Still, unless it solidifies completely (it won't) the yeast will find their sugar.

The wort was already chilled. Next time I plan on using candi sugar, I'll make it a few days in advance. Today I didn't have the time, and wasn't about to try making it at the same time as I mashed and boiled outside.

I add mine a few day s after fermentation has started. cooled to temp of wort. Mix in it in and within hours the bubbler was going mad.

Back