Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadway

Reaction score
I am brewing up a beer tomorrow, and its the first time I've used Candi Sugar.

I got a # of candi sugar, and when I opened it up, it looks like a a # of rock candy pebbles...

Will these dissolve in the wort? Or should I chuck them into a pot of water and disolve them first, and then add them to the wort?

I don't want candy rocks sitting at the bottom of my brew kettle burning away...

Any advise would be appreciated... like if I do dissolve them seperatly and add them later, how long, how much water, etc?

thanks!

I generally don't use the rocks since they are a pain (as you suggested) and I've never gotten enough character out of them to justify the price. That said, when I have used them I like to add them to the boil kettle while I run the wort into it, this gives them time to dissolve pre-boil. If you are doing extract, just put them in a small pot of water over low heat, stirring them regularly as they dissolve.

Taste one. Bite into it and you will see they crumble pretty easily and dissolve pretty quickly. I usually just add them to the boil with 15 min left. I put them in a spoonful at a time let them dissolve in the spoon or remove the kettle from the heat and add the bag stirring it until no more. No scorching from these.

However, Liguid Candi Sugar might suit you better.

WW

Back