Candi Sugar vs Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I have a Chimay clone recipe that calls for 1.5lbs of Amber Candi Sugar. Yesterday was my shopping trip to the LHBS and for some reason I bought 1.5lbs of Amber Candi Syrup instead of the Sugare. So my questions are:

1. Can the Sugar and Syrup be used interchangeably.
2. If I can use the Syrup do I use the same amount of syrup as I would have used sugar (in this case 1.5lbs)

I have read a little bit about some of the differences and have also read that most authentic belgian beers use the syrup (not sure if this is accurate or just internet folly but it gave me hope that I could at least use the syrup).

As always, any insights will be greatly appreciated.

-pava

I have read a little bit about some of the differences and have also read that most authentic belgian beers use the syrup (not sure if this is accurate or just internet folly but it gave me hope that I could at least use the syrup).

Here's what Stan Hieronymus, the author of Brew Like a Monk, has tl say on the subject:

Brew Like A Monk Blog Archive Belgian caramelized syrup now available in America

Summary: Belgians use the syrup.

OTOH, the recipe was formulated without it, so the syrup could give you a more caramelized taste than doing it with the rock candy.

I'd go for it, it might be slightly different but it shouldn't be a massive difference and it's probably more interesting if anything.

Back