Candi Sugar in sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipapat

Reaction score
So i have a bad cold and im brewing a flanders brown.
Well the cold medication has me all loopy.
I missed the Munich malt in my recipe and im not in the mood too miini mash it at this point.

My local hb shop is out of Munich extract.
So im stuck with a beer that isnt to most of the recipes i have seen.

I was thinking about tossing in a bottle of dark candi syrup.

Good or bad idea?

MY grain bill is now the following.

11.5 lbs pilsner
1 lbs flaked wheat
.75 aromatic
1 lbs caramunich 40 lov
.5 special b.
3oz carafa III

(should have had 4lbs munich at a low lov)

I plan on using roselair blend and 1 abbey ale yeast from white labs.

Any thoughts?

So your big concern then is from a color standpoint and a lack of gravity points?
If so I guess candi sugar could work. Plug in the different candi sugars into a brewing calculator and find out what gives you the closest result.
Or you I guess you could use some steeping grains in extract. But iguess that is just as much effort.
Or you could carmelize a bit of LME but that also requires effort.

I would probably wait till you brew another batch that was a similar profile. And bottle some of the wort. And feed this beer down the road, 6th month, 9th month. I'm a big fan of adding some food for the other bugs like Pedio and Brett that don't get going till then.

I can add dextrin to feed the bugs.
I guess now that i look at it the munich was too add some body but at this point its a little late.

lol

I guess i could add some light malt extract for the points.

Looks like a sour belgain blonde. Yeah, I would add some DME in a few months. I like feeding sours slowly throughout the process.

Body is a difficult thing to create with sour beers. The only sours that I have found that have a good body to them come from blending.
I actually just had the TransAtlantic Kriek from New Belgium last night and the beer has some nice body. But it is also 50/50 Strong Golden Lager and Boon Kriek.
So that is a choice for you when you are getting ready to package your sour.

ill be adding a little DME and some dex when i pitch the rest of my wyeast packet.

TransAtlantic Kriek ans Le folie are some great sours.
I have a case of each in the cellar.

I plan on racking this beer onto some currants next summer and blending it with my some flanders red i have.

I may do a Cuvvee tomme ish recipie in the coming months, but i need to buy a second 15 gallon wine barrel from Tullhouse spirits.

I've got a rye sour that's sitting around 1.008 right now and has quite a bit of body. Do the bugs metabolize the beta glucans, or is this going to carry through to the final product?

look into Faro beers...

faro is too much for me, i like a good gueze and love a good kriek.

Guess i can blend this beer in a year with an older one to get a better flavor profile.

I plan on brewing 2 more sours before the year is out.

I have a 10 gallon barrel with an Irish Red base and D2 syrup. The first yeast was T-58 and then I added lacto. The first tasting was a little roasty with some of the D2 filling in the finish. Looking forward to this one finishing up.

Back