American Lager Canadian Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY 2272 North American Lager
Yeast Starter
yes - 0.5 G
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 d, 54 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 d, 54F
Note: This is a 12 G batch.

7 kg of Harrington 2-row
4 kg of Weyermann Pilsner malt
1 kg of Carafoam
------------------
total: 12 kg grain

Hops:

60 min. of Hallertauer Tradition 8.0 AA -1 oz pellet
30 min. of Hersbrucker 3.3 AA - 2.0 oz pellet

Dryhopped with 2 oz. of Hersbrucker in secondary (2 weeks)

*not done @ true lager temps/time...but damn good....like a premium Canadian Pils.

How does it taste compared to Molson's pilsner ? Is it dry like that ? I love that beer.

It didn't turn out really dry for two reasons: the carafoam and the short (2 week,
50F) "lager" time.

I had many Molsons, coors, and labbatt drinkers say that this was the best beer they ever had. That surprised me as I would have thought their tastebuds would have been close-minded after sticking to a big north american comercial brew for many years. The profile in terms of body, bitterness and colour are close to north american standards, but the homebrew goodness really puts it over the top.

I am currently doing another one with almost identical ingredients - except for the additon of Vienna malt and a few more % bitterness.

Cheers.

this looks and sounds like a fantastic beer for summer. I just may try this if I can get the ingredients

With mine I may just use a bit of Cara Crystal 20L or 40L maybe about 350G just for some color

sAvAgE said:
this looks and sounds like a fantastic beer for summer. I just may try this if I can get the ingredients

With mine I may just use a bit of Cara Crystal 20L or 40L maybe about 350G just for some color

If I needed to do something different, I'd cut down on the carafoam/carapils and adjust the temp to get a bit more fermetability in order to get it more dry. Otherwise, I was quite good.

Cheers.

Did you use a lagering vessel, or did you just do it in a carboy? I don't have a vessel yet, but I can keep it at the low temps.

Thanks in advance.:mug:

Also, I just bought 1 lb of cascade(5.0%), northern brewer(8/9%), and us goldings(4.5%). Which one or ones would you suggest using for this? I will probably just hop it to the same IBU's as you did.

Back