Canadian Border Crossing Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGTSparty

Reaction score
So I'm heading from Detroit To Toronto with a buddy to meet up with some friends and I'm planning on bring a case of homebrew plus 4x 64 oz growlers. I just got off the phone with the Border Information Service and they said its perfectly legal and at 16 liters we'll be withing our tax exempt allowances but that we'll have to explain the situation to the the border agent and "prove that it's beer" we're bring in. Does anyone have any recent experience with bringing homebrew into Canada via either Port Huron or Windsor crossings? Any tips or personal experiences for making everything go smoothly would be appreciated.

A lot depends on the tenor of the officers and the station you go through. I've no experience with Detroit to Toronto.

If you were crossing in Northern Minnesota I would suggest you just tell them you have beer and how much. They likely wouldn't ask any more where I cross.

Coming back into the US tends to have more scrutiny in my opinion. Never had a problem taking homebrew though.

I've never carried beer across but every time I cross is different. Some agents ask a couple questions and let me through, other times it has taken half an hour and lots of questions. You've done your homework so you know what you want is legal but there is no predicting what hassles you might have.

Back