Canadian Arctic Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Sometimes its good to be Canadian, was dieing to try this

dsc06714k.jpg

How long do you think it will take to cool to 60F? I just put it out there at 7:55 and im stirring :)

Its a Warrior IPA. My first Partial Mash.

certainly longer than an immersion chiller, but maybe quicker than an ice bath just keep stirring and have your thermometer ready

As was pointed out to me a couple of months ago, snow is a very good insulator, so I guess the temperature won't drop very fast.

But at least outside, in the freezing cold, the chances of infections due to slower cooling are very low. Not a lot of bugs floating around.

I decided to just no chill in the snowbank today. After four hours, the temperature looked alright (no more steam, pot felt cold).

Ya it took a hell of a long time, I brought it in around 9:30 and added 3 litre of cold water I needed to add and its pitching temps.

I realized after about 10 minutes that snow is an insulator and brought her inside lol.

You have to keep packing the snow tight around the kettle, its the air space that insulates.

This. I've used the snow bank routine before, too, and it does work alright if you keep pushing the snow in contact with the pot. Needless to say it's a tedious task, but it does work.

Put that snow in a tub of some kind (I use a laundry basket sometimes) and add water until it's about 6 to 8 inches deep. Leave it sit outside like you did with the snow bank and put your boiling kettle in it and you get much more rapid cooling. Move the kettle around a little to keep replenishing the cold water next to it and it cools even faster.

Last time I did that it was about 10 F. and it cooled fast enough that I didn't even need gloves on, my hands didn't have time to get cold. I did wear a coat though.

Back