Can you use your kettle as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersurgeon

Reaction score
If you use hop bags, you should have minimal residue. If you cool your kettle down enough to pour into your primary and pitch your yeast, why can't you just aerate it in situ and then seal your kettle?

Is fermenting in a metal container bad?

I read somewhere that u can use plastic wrap to seal a pot lid to the pot. Also there's nothing wrong with fermenting in ss. That bringing said what's the benifit ur thinking this will provide?

I wouldn't do it in aluminum, but I've done it several times with the stainless keg that I boil in. I have a lid that fits the cut out perfectly, and it's not air tight. There are ways to make it air tight, but no creepy crawlies are getting in, and I haven't had any oxidation issues from what I can tell. It's already sanitized from the boil and it shortens the brew day a bit. Tying up the kettle is a concern.

You can ferment you berr in anything, but would you want to? Like plenty have said if you ferment in your kettle, then you can't brew in your kettle, since I leave my beers in primary for a month and brew considerably more that's not an option for me.

And Captainfester, no fermenter is ever air tight (unless you're using a keg). If it were, you more than likely would have beer on the ceiling.

I would say my bucket with lid and air lock is damn near air tight. With the obvious problem of the air lock. But that only let's air out. Not in. No?

Not airtight since the gasses can pass through the airlock. Both ways if need be.

That was the point of saying that things are not air tight otherwise the co2 would pressurize your bucket until it blew and you would then be cleaning your ceiling!:eek:

Latest posts

Back