Can you use too much Fermaid K?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SL 3052

Reaction score
Hello all!
So I have gotten started with my first batch of mead! I can't wait to rack it!
I was so excited to get it going that, after I went on my HB shopping spree, I started throwing stuff in like crazy! When it came to throwing the Fermaid K in, I realized the instructions were using weight, aaaannnnddddd I didn't have a scale. So stupid me just threw some in. I later went and got a scale, weighed out a gram, and it seems like I put in double the amount I was supposed to. So, my question is, how bad did I mess up?
Did I stub my toe, or cut it off?

Hi SL 3052 and welcome. What was the starting gravity? In principle , you can add too much nutrient but I am not familiar with Fermaid K. if it contains DAP then this can produce some off flavors if the yeast don't assimilate it but I generally add significantly more nutrients than the manufacturer calls for (though my nutrient does not contain DAP) and I don't have any problems. My guess is if there is no DAP involved then you neither cut off your toe nor stubbed it. And if Fermaid K does contain DAP... I am not sure that simply doubling the amount at pitching time is a real concern. Moreover - higher gravity meads really need more nutrient than the package might sugggest.

Thank you bernardsmith!
I just looked it up, it does have DAP. The gravity is 1.050? Potential is 11%. I'm glad I didn't do that on the coffee one I'm setting up! Hopefully the oranges, apples, lemon, cinamon, vanilla, and clove will overpower any off taste.

Back