can you take a look at this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/2070645920.html

questions from a newbie... are the hops still good.. it's hard to tell because he doesn't know how old they are.. but stuff like the cleaner, buckets, bottles and other stuff in all in good to new shape he says... looks like alot of stuff.. not sure if it's a good deal.. thanks

I suspect its not a bad deal, but you could get a perfectly good starter set for much less. Here's one (and its not the cheapest you can find) for $159 including your choice of ingredient kit http://www.breworganic.com/complete2stagebrewerywithorganicbeerkit.aspx

Also, if you are a new brewer, you will probably be brewing using the extract and steeping grain method, so lots of base grains aren't going to be very useful to you.

Good luck!

Print the picture and go to your LHBS, bet they could put a kit together that will give you similar value and you will start to build a great relationship with someone who would love to help you become a good brewer/customer. I always want to support the local retailer.

OK see that's what i was thinking.. i looked at the same kit that pappers posted... and i agree with bill.. I'd be a buyer at the 125-150 range.. maybe I'll let him set on it for a couple weeks.. if someone else buys it no loss

It sounds like the person doesn't have a clue what it is worth, just wants to make a little money back from a tennent that probably skated.

I don't think extract goes bad very quickly, but I'm not sure. I'd offer $80 and see were it goes. Three carboys and two buckets are worth close to 100. Probably wouldn't pay more than 100. But, all good points above.

Print the picture and go to your LHBS, bet they could put a kit together that will give you similar value and you will start to build a great relationship with someone who would love to help you become a good brewer/customer. I always want to support the local retailer.

Probably the best idea in this thread! (+)!

Like most things in brewing, the answer is, "It depends." If you keep them very cold and free from oxygen, hops should last a few years. It's not uncommon for hop brokers to be selling pelletized and vacuum-sealed hops from two or three seasons ago. Commercial breweries continue to use last year's crop well into the current year's harvest. This is not to say that the oils and a-acids will be exactly the same as when you purchased them, but the hops won't be "bad"; hops are not considered "bad" until they get below 50% of their original a-acid value (5), at which point the degree of oxidation will produce a definitely cheesy aroma.

by Mark Garetz

Back