Can you store a yeast starter in the flask for a couple days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Making a starter out of a 6 month old pack of Wyeast and I'm not sure how long it will take to revive (2-3 days maybe?). Anyway, I was wondering if after it gets active on the stir plate if I could simple throw it in the fridge to decant for 2-3 days? I'm not sure what day I'll be brewing but it wouldn't be more than 2-3 days after fridging the starter.

I would just put it in the fridge with the foam stopper.

Thanks!

Let it ferment out completely before crashing it. You don't want to wake them up then put them to sleep again until they have consumed all the sugar in the wort. The starter will be good for at least a couple of weeks after that if kept in the fridge.

NB told me via chat a starter will keep fine in a fridge for a week. I've never gone longer than that, but I'm guessing other have without problems.

NB told me via chat a starter will keep fine in a fridge for a week. I've never gone longer than that, but I'm guessing other have without problems.
I've kept yeast cakes in a refrigerated jar for 6 months, then directly pitched them after a gentle warm-up period. Others have gone longer, I'm sure.
It's really not much different than buying commercial wet yeast, aside from having a lot more cells.

Foam should be fine. Maybe soak it in Starsan first, since the flask will pull a vacuum as it cools. I usually just cover with foil.

Back