Can you reuse yeast after fermentation is done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner_at_Work

Reaction score
can you reuse the yeast that has settled at the bottom, ive heard that you can from people on the internet?

2. does adding sugar after fermentation is done lower the alcohol content?

thank you in advance

1. There is a great post on yeast washing that you can easily find on this awesome forum, I haven't done it but plan to in the future.

2. Adding sugar after fermentation is generally done for the purpose of carbonation. The yeast are still alive and kicking so they will start eating again.

3. I just drank a bomber of my Irish Red and I'm buzzed so not sure if I'd listen to my advice...

:drunk:

You don't need to wash the yeast if you don't feel like going through the trouble. I use a sanitized jar and fill it with the dregs and trub. Then I seal it and stick it I stick it in the fridge until I want to use it again. I brew pretty often so the fridge yeast only stays there for 2-3 weeks. on brew day I pull it from the fridge when I mash, let it rise to room temp and pitch the top half of it when my beer is at temp in the fermenter. Sometimes it'll take a little longer to start up fermentation but it works just like a fresh starter. It also doesn't add any off or weird flavors to the brew.

As for adding sugar after primary fermentation you can do it for a couple of reasons and get some neat results. First is priming sugar which helps carb the beer if you bottle. Second you can dry out a beer like a saison by adding a simple syrup made with table sugar. Or you can add some flavors or depth by adding complex sugar syrups made with candi sugar, turbinado, or even molasses and honey. They will dry out the beer a little but you'll get some great flavors with them. Also by adding these sugars, except the priming sugar cause it's negligible, you increase the alcohol content created by the yeast.

There will still be yeast suspended in the brew. It will be fewer than on the trub which may produce some off flavors but you'll still end up with a higher abv. Some people don't do the sugar addition till after they move the brew to a secondary fermenter so clearly it had a precidence.

Back