Can you put shredded and chopped up apples in water and have the same as pressed cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I don't have a cider press, and I wanted to make hard cider, can I take whole apples, chop them up, grind them up in a Vitamix or whatever (small chunks, etc.), peelings and all, and cover it with water, will that turn into cider? I thought I read you could put that in there, submerge it in water (non-chlorinated), and it'd work.

Is that true? I saw one thing that said leave the apples in there for a while, and another one said take out the apples in a few days and use whatever has leeched from the apples.

I was going to use "wild yeast" and see if it worked, if that is a factor here.

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me....

You're better off peeling, decoring and boiling. Then push soft apples through a fine mesh or cheese cloth. You'll get apple juice and you can add some sugar and yeast...

Put the shredded apples in a linen bag and pile some stones on top of the bag.
When you put them in a Vitamix blender I don't think you have to press. In my experience, when you ferment Vitamix juice you will be left with up to 50% lees. That is what I get when fermenting slow juicer juice. Juice with that much pulp can be put in a tightly woven bag and left to hang overnight over a tub. The way you would strain yoghurt.

Last edited:
can I take whole apples, chop them up, grind them up in a Vitamix or whatever (small chunks, etc.), peelings and all, and cover it with water, will that turn into cider?
Go ahead and try it. Please post your results.
Also check you tube for low tech DIY apple press devices. With 2 plastic buckets, a drill and a car jack you can make a simple cider press. Smash the apples with a 4x4 or a tree limb in a bucket.

Yeah, there's a video that shows it, I believe he attaches 2 lag bolts as handles, so I suppose that gets it out of the stone age.....
:mug:

Back