Can you "overcook" the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
Taking advantage of a rare day off without SWMBO around and decided to brew...

Did I fail to mention that SWMBO is my QC engineer?

About 35 minutes into the boil, I realized that I forgot to add my DME spray with the hops.

D'OH!

So, I added it at that point and reset the timer for another 40 minutes..
I figured I would be better to do that then trash the wort, but I was wondering if it's possible to overcook the wort?

So basically you're saying you did a late dry malt extract adition and a 75 minute boil?

Yeah..you're toast...might has well just haul your fermentor down I-94 my way, and I'll dispose of it properly (in 6 weeks.):)

Worse thing I could think of is that if you boiled water and hops alone for 40 minutes your hops utilization may be off....

Reno Homebrewer said:
Dogfish Head Brewery makes a 120 minute IPA, which makes me think that it will be fine. :)

That's EXACTLY the thought that went into my head.
Almost.
I thought of their 90 minute IPA.

Revvy said:
So basically you're saying you did a late dry malt extract adition and a 75 minute boil?

Yeah..you're toast...might has well just haul your fermentor down I-94 my way, and I'll dispose of it properly (in 6 weeks.):)

Worse thing I could think of is that if you boiled water and hops alone for 40 minutes your hops utilization may be off....

haha, i'll take the risk with it before I go hauling it around ;)

The main point of the boil is to get proper hop utilization so if you were using pre-hopped extract I don't think it would pose any problem whatsoever.

edit: Or if you are saying that you added the hops, boiled that in water for 35 mins, then added the extract... then your bitterness will be higher than you expected is all.

I think the second batch I ever made was a Coopers APA kit. I fell asleep on the couch and it cooked way to long and came out tasting Burnt and horrible, But Im thinking it was probably because of the prehopped Kit. Your probably still in good shape.

Yeah, extract will scorch if it is allowed to settle on the bottom of the kettle. I always calculate my bitterness with the extract added at the very end.

Back