Can You Name These Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon22

Reaction score
Long story short, I know that one of these hop plants is a tettnang and the other is horizon, but I don't know which is which (moved twice the last year, but managed to get these back in the ground last season, but while transplanting to my current place and these two got mixed up). This will be the second season in the ground here, and I am expecting a good enough yield to harvest (they're going nuts already).

I'm hoping that someone has a good enough experience with these varieties to tell which one is which, or even what one of them is a horizon/tettnang. I know that I can wait until the end of the season, boil each in small containers and try to smell/taste the difference, but that may/may not work either.

Help is much appreciated! Here are the two together:
hops.jpg

Closeup on the left:
hopsleft.jpg

Closeup on the right
hopsright.jpg

Any idea?

The one on right has darker vines closer to purple in color and brighter, smaller/condensed leaves, while the other has vines that are more brown and slightly "thinner" leaves (best I can do for description).

Never grew horizon but I had some tetts a long time ago. They never really produced so they're gone but I can't remember any of the smaller compact leaves like the one on the right so I'd guess that one is the horizon. If it's not horizon it's definitely tettnang. sorry.

No way to tell for sure from here... But I have both in my garden and the Tettnang starts growing later and is less robust Horizon = smaller and less yield. You can also tell by comparing the hops when harvesting; the Horizon is much more hoppy, squeeze and turn each between your finger and thumb and sniff.. The Horizon will be the one with the more powerful aroma.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing that the one on the right, which had more shoots, is probably the Horizon then. I'll probably just have to wait until harvest, but it was a worth a shot to see if someone was familiar enough with either to just tell me, "oh, yea, that's definitely horizon there!" ;-)

I was thinking perhaps Edwardo and Frank, but "Big Jim" has a good ring to it too.

Cheers!

Oh, Good point! They deserve to be named properly, and treated like ladies!

Back