Can you make starter wort in advance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be wise to make starter wort in advance and put it into mason jars and if need be boil the jars to make sure the wort is sterile.. It would be a time saver for me to just pop a jar out of the fridge and dump it into my growler and pitch the yeast to make a starter..plus i can have a bunch of jars of wort ready whenever i need a starter..anybody do this or is it a bad idea? cheers

Check out pressure canning of wort. There are numerous links to threads about it. I've been doing it for quite a while with good results.

I measure dry malt into quart jars and add water by weight to get the specific gravity that I want for starters. Then I run them through the pressure canner and put them away, labeled with date, type of malt and specific gravity. About 9 quarts each time and they last for years.

Back