Can you make decent tea with Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed, unfortunately the search fuction doesn't allow for searches of words with less than 4 characters and i'm not about to search among one million threads with the word "hops".

So back to the topic at hand, as anyone had luck with tea made from hops, as in normal tea for personal consumption? How does it taste?

In the northern part of the country i live i know that hop tea was extremely popular, especially for those with insomnias problems, but my guess is it was probably another kind of hops and not the humulus lupulus we are used to work with.

I have tried to make tea out of it in the past - using East Kent Goldings - but it came out EXTREMELY bitter and i only steeped it for a few minutes at flame out. At least i broke that ridiculous myth about how the bitterness is only extracted if the wort has X OG.

Regardless, i think i'm going to try to make some more with Cascade tonight and was wondering if anyone has a few pointers. cheers.

Back