can you fix a leaking 3 way SS valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General_Jah

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently built a new all electric 20G brewery and decided to switch out some of my full port ball valves from brewers hardware with three way stainless steel valves off amazon - which have turned out to be real pieces of crap. Wish brewers hardware carried these but alas they don't.

The problem I am running into is the valve doesn't seem to have a really good seal so it will actually have a slow leak on many of the three-way valves I have purchased and unfortuantely returning them is not an option. If they are all connected with hosing its not a big deal but when they are not, which is definitely part of the time, some of them leak.

I've never encountered this before and am wondering if any of you guys know of some way I might try to fix this issue.

Here is a link to the product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O5D1ARU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any advice on how to try and fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean they leak though the ports? Not like leaking where they are connected?

correct, they leak through the ports

This is an L-valvre right? is the leak so substantial that it's not what's left on the outside of the ball which drips out? If you don't shut it all the way then it might leak. This seems like a classic china-ball valve, I've myself never had an issue with them.

I had 3 in a series manifold that worked great until I took them apart to clean them. Not one kept a proper seal after that and I ended up tossing them and simplifying my setup. It worked out for the better anyway.

I use a bunch of these too and the ones from duda dont leak, neither do any of the cheaper non duda branded ones which actually had better flow except the last one I just bought about 6 months ago, That one required me to pull it apart and fix the oring seal which was not seated correctly and reassemble... now its ok.
a person should know how to pull these apart to check them periodically anyway... with proper cleaning practices its not really needed but a good idea to know if your cleaning properly.

Oddly the nut that holds the lever onto the valve needs to be tightened every once in a while on our valves or we get some drips. Some are chinese/ebay, some duda.

This ^. You have to tighten the nut on the handle from time to time or it will leak through where the handle attaches.

John

Back