Can you condition too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoonigan

Reaction score
So i'm finishing up my third ever batch. It's a Dry Irish Stout done from an extract kit. I'm suppose to bottle tomorrow according to the instructions. Unfortunately, I ordered my new bottles late (was originally gonna reuse the same from the last but they're looking a bit over used... been through the first two batches already) and they won't be here till Wednesday. My question is, is the extra three days in the secondary going to have any negative effects on my brew?

No.

I'm thinking most people reuse their bottles more than twice. I know I do. Many of my bottles have been used six or seven times with my brews and I'll use them more than that. Who knows how many times they were used before I started brewing (I have a couple cases of the old-school returnable bottles that are my preferred bottles).

Why is it you're thinking your bottles are not serviceable after only two (or three) uses?

Here's an example of just a couple of my bottles. These are some of the more beat up ones. I think they have character and wonder of the stories they could tell. That's not residue on the bottles, that's wear/worn into the glass.

Others may find them ugly, I suppose.

IMG_1786.jpg

It will make it a little better. Although not noticable. An extra month in the secondary will make it notibly better.

I'm thinking most people reuse their bottles more than twice. Why is it you're thinking they're not serviceable?

I agree. Just get some sanitizer and a bottle brush and you can reuse them for quite a while.

In answer to your question again I agree with the above. I had a porter that sat in secondary for a month and was great. A few extra days won't hurt anything.

Awesome!!... Maybe i'll try giving it another two weeks then... Still have a few brews left from the last batch so i'll still have beer, lol.

In regards to the not reusing the bottles a third time, I guess its just cause i'm a bit of a clean freak. I mean I cleaned each one after I used them and would sanitize them again before I bottled but I just felt new bottles would be better... Next time i'll just take a deep breath and count to ten instead of throwing out the used bottles, lol I think I will still need a few new ones though because I don't get the bottles back from everyone who tries it ya know

Thanks for the help all!! You guys rock!

I agree with the above, it won't hurt your beer and will only improve it. Stouts, porters, barley wines, high gravity beers in general typically do better when matured. I've once capped an imperial stout in my secondary for 6 months (this does not include my primary) and was arguably the best beer I have made.

I've reused all the bottles is use many times, clean them out good with a bottle brush. Then I use the oven technique described in John Palmers How to Brew. Let them air dry then wrap the top with aluminum foil so it's tight and bake in the oven slowly raising the temp to 340 for an hour. Let them cool slowly so the glass doesn't crack from temp shock. The inside is sterilized till you pull the foil off. Which I do just before filling.

Two times is nothing, I hate de-labeling so I certainly re-use more often than that (we drink plenty of commercial beer at my house so I would never bother paying for new bottles). You just need to train your friends better, mine know if they don't save the bottles they don't get more homebrew:). They also know to rinse after pouring, then when I get them back I do a soak in hot PBW. Star san at bottling - no infections. In fact the only infected bottle of mine I know of ever was one of those PET bottles.

use bottles only 2 times?

Oops... have I goofed then? Most of my bottles are about 10 years old. I can't count the number of beers that I've had in them.

I'm kidding of course. I retire a bottle when it falls on the floor and breaks. Not before.

Back