Can you cold-condition too much? (in bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChucknBeer

Reaction score
Simple, quick question.

My first batch was bottled at the end of 2014 and after 2 months I put the last bottle in the fridge. After 5 months, I opened it and the beer was so clear it looked like a filtered/commercial brand. The taste ranged from meh to bad: all the mistakes of my first batch were more than evident.

But... can you settle too much of your beer? Can your beer loose flavors/body after a too long rest in the fridge?

You'll definitely lose flavors as a beer ages out, especially if it was a lower gravity higher hopped beer as the hop characteristics go away over time. I had a hefe that tasted like mineral water after it had set in the bottle for a year. I had to try it to see what it would be like though.

The good thing is you have some experience to go refer back to for the next batch.

No, it's the time that did it. I cold condition all of my beers, bottles stored cold with the keg. Your beer will thank you

Thanks for the input, but remember that I'm asking if it is possible to cold-condition too much.

My beer tasted bad because many things were wrong during brewing/fermentation and in fact, the cold-condition time allowed me to really taste all the problems.

But! If you have a good and properly brewed/fermented beer, a Pale Ale or a Stout, and you leave some bottles for 1 year on your fridge, can this affect color/flavor/body in any way? Can I drop from suspension too much from the beer? Can you loose a few points in the SRM scale?

:mug:

No. Color doesn't separate out. You can (I do) perceive changes in body from cold-conditioning, but it's always for the better. Usually fuller mouthfeel from smaller CO2 bubbles, as there are less proteins and particulates for the gas to nucleate on.

I had an American Strong Ale (Arrogant Bastard Clone) that was extremely hazy. After a couple weeks in fridge it still was hazy and cloudy. I let the last few bottles sit in the fridge for about 6 months and it poured super clear. I didn't expect that. The flavors were changing a bit, but that had more to do with the fact that it was 6 months old. It was still really good

Back