can you brew it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knew2Brew

Reaction score
I've found a Pale Ale I really like and they're not usually my style. I have several friends that are big pale ale fans so I want to brew some......but I think this is dang near impossible. It's a local brew with small distribution so I haven't found a clone. I'm extract BTW, but 2 row with specialty as the only grains is easily doable.

Malt Varieties - 2 Row Pale, Caramel 40 (from website)
SRM - 12 - 13 range (from my observation)
Hop Varieties - Goldings, Cascade, Fuggles (from website)
Alcohol by Weight - 4.96% (from website ~ 6.2% ABV)
Original Gravity - 13.4*P (from website ~1.055 SG)
Bitterness Units - 33 (from website)

Link to Diamond Bear Pale Ale

I can't figure out how they get that alcohol % with that SG unless they have something crazy like 90% attenuation. Also, I don't know how they get that color with those two malts unless its 25% Caramel 40. It seems a lil odd to have 25% caramel but I could believe it but......that much caramel would make the ABV and attenuation even more unobtainable. Also, this is listed as an English Pale Ale....but trying to use an english ale yeast, with 25% caramel/crystal 40, with 1.055 SG, and 6.2% ABV......I'd rather buy lotto tickets.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This is what i came up with based off what was posted. Not sure how they get their OG to start that low and get the ABV that high. This was the best i came up with. My preboil matches their OG but other than that the specs are pretty much on.
Gravity Before Boil: 1.054 SG (14.2 Brix)
Original Gravity: 1.064 SG (16.6 Brix)
Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (8.9 Brix)
Volume Before Boil: 6.75 US gals
Volume After Boil: 5.75 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added To Dilute: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals
10lb 0oz of US 2-Row Malt
1lb 12oz of US Caramel 40L Malt

Run off to collect a total of 6.75 US gals of wort.
1.00 oz of UK Golding (60 Min From End)
1.00 oz of US Cascade (20 Min From End)
1.00 oz of UK Fuggle (10 Min From End)
Boil the wort for a total of 60 minutes.

As a novice, your guess is prolly better than mine. I'll try it!

I could care less about color and exact recipe as long as its tasty.

Just so you know I wrote for 85%efficiency. Thats usually what I get on my system. If you know yours you can adjust the grain bill accordingly. If your not sure what efficiency your system gets you could either brew it as is and see how close to the recipe specs you get. Or bump up the grain bill a little to adjust for a lower efficiency. Either way it should put you in the ball park of where you're looking to be.

Back