Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
This recipe was deemed NOT CLONED. Jamil had said that the yeast is right, the hops are fairly close, but the malt bill needs to be adjusted. It was agreed that the clone was too dark. Jamil also believed that there was too much chocolate, not enough late hop flavor, and the fermentation temperature of the clone was too low. Tasty also has some reservations about the hop flavor, believing that there is a flavor missing in the clone. The commercial example seems to have more esters, which would be increased by higher fermentation temp. Jamil recommended decreasing the SRM to 20 and the IBU to 72-75. Here is what they recommended:

Decrease the 90minute hop addition by 5-8 IBUs.
Double the flameout hop addition.
Mash at 147F.
Decrease chocolate malt in half.
Keep the crystal malt ratio the same, but decrease the total crystal by 1/4 to 1/3.
Ferment at 69-70F

The recipe below is what Tasty brewed to attempt a clone.

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1071
FG 1013
80 IBU
27.6 SRM

90 minute boil [Tasty always does a 90 minute boil, he says it works better for his system]

14 lbs US 2-row
1.1 lbs crystal 150
0.55 lbs crystal 15
0.55 lbs crystal 40
0.55 lbs crystal 80
0.33 lbs chocolate malt

0.99 oz chinook 13%AA at 85 min
0.49 oz chinook at 45min
0.49 oz chinook at 15min
0.49 oz chinook at flameout

WLP007, ferment at 67F

Mash at 149F for 65 minutes
Mash at 168F for 10 minutes
Sparge at 170F for 60 minutes

Is your recipe from their first brew of it, or the rebrew?

First brew. Tasty is planning on trying it again later this month. I just wanted to create a placeholder to keep any additional recipe information near the top of the post. I will update as new shows are added to iTunes.

Eric

I was searching for this recipe for differences on the net and did read that Stone always use WLP007 for their high-grav beers which I'm pretty sure is not accurate.

The recipes that Stone has published ( , ) all use WLP002.

I'll keep an eye out for updates to this recipe.

On the BN forum, Tasty said he's rebrewing this on 7/3. Consequently that probably means we won't hear the rebrew episode for at least 4 weeks after that. See the link

I was searching for this recipe for differences on the net and did read that Stone always use WLP007 for their high-grav beers which I'm pretty sure is not accurate.

From the interviews I've heard on CYBI, they use a house strain that Mitch has said is similar to a dry english ale yeast. WLP002 doesn't seem to have the attenuative properties they desire to get the finish they like. I've had good success using WLP007 for recreating Stone clones. Just my $.02

I listened to the rebrew show tonight and it sounds like they got pretty close. I am at work and was called away during the recipe, but I heard bits and pieces of it. I will tell you what I heard and then update with the exact recipe when the podcast comes out (or sooner if I can).

90% 2-row
10% special B
All chinook hops
WLP007

I listened to the rebrew show tonight and it sounds like they got pretty close. I am at work and was called away during the recipe, but I heard bits and pieces of it. I will tell you what I heard and then update with the exact recipe when the podcast comes out (or sooner if I can).

90% 2-row
10% special B
All chinook hops
WLP007

whoa, thats wierd.. I was literally just going to post for an update.. your ears must have been ringing.

grabbed this from BN forums

6 gallon batch.

OG 1.066

90% 2 Row
10% Special B
mash @ 148

25 grams Chinook @ 85 min
25 grams Chinook @ 45 min
25 grams Chinook @ 15 min
25 grams Chinook @ 0 min

i'm a newbie at brewing but was wondering what you guys think about my attempt at AB? I've been reading many posts on this beer. The latest info I have found has led me to this. Anything I should change/add/delete? Thanks.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone ***ATTEMPT***
Brewer: Bill
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 117.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min) Hops 41.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

In light of the recent "almost cloned" Can You Brew It, I'd wait until the final recipe gets posted up here. You are using the Special B as they recommend but in different percentages and you have a higher mash temp as well. You are showing boil time of 60 with 90 minute hop additions, that can't be good. You are also showing 90 & 85 minute bittering which will not work as it will be way too bitter.

i'm a newbie at brewing but was wondering what you guys think about my attempt at AB? I've been reading many posts on this beer. The latest info I have found has led me to this. Anything I should change/add/delete? Thanks.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone ***ATTEMPT***
Brewer: Bill
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 117.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min) Hops 41.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

It would be a good idea to wait until you see the final recipe, and try to match your % of grains, IBUs and OG. I'd minimize some of the early hop additions too, that would end up really bitter, especially with the lower OG.

90% 2-row
10% special B
All chinook hops
WLP007

Well I think it's pretty clear why it's called Arrogant Bastard! hahahaha. It would take one hell of an arrogant bastard to attempt a recipe like that!

Hey guys,
Heard back from Tasty and it seems like this is very, very, very close. I didn't hear the entire show due to work, but it seemed like everyone but Tasty thought it was there. Here's the info I have:

OG 1.066

90% US 2-Row
10% Special B

Chinook 24g 13%AA @ 85', 45', 15', and 0'.

WLP007

Anyone else surprised that the recipe is this simple? That there is no dry hops?

I totally believe that this recipe will get your there, but I was a bit surprised how simple it is too.

Thanks to Tasty for all of his hard work.

Eric

I'm just curious how they decided on such a simple recipe when in the last show they were talking about all that crystal malt. I wonder if they got some inside info?

Hey guys,
Heard back from Tasty and it seems like this is very, very, very close. I didn't hear the entire show due to work, but it seemed like everyone but Tasty thought it was there. Here's the info I have:

OG 1.066

90% US 2-Row
10% Special B

Chinook 24g 13%AA @ 85', 45', 15', and 0'.

WLP007

Anyone else surprised that the recipe is this simple? That there is no dry hops?

I totally believe that this recipe will get your there, but I was a bit surprised how simple it is too.

Thanks to Tasty for all of his hard work.

Eric

WOW! yeah I'm really surprised that it's this simple. I've recently done the original clone recipe from the show. I guess I need to do this one as well.

Hey guys,
...Eric

Hey, don't forget you left the 2nd post in this thread as a future place holder for the re-brew recipe. :mug:

I am wondering how they came up with the second recipe? I am wondering if C150 might be the lone dark crystal as opposed to special B? I know stone uses C150.....I am not sayin...but I am just sayin.

regardless, I am brewing this new one up and convention be damned, I am dry hopping with centennial and columbus. Aromatic Bastard!

I don't remember seeing bags of Special B when I was at stone, at least, not enough to warrant the amount that they brew Arrogant Bastard. But yeah, lots of bags of C150 though.

permo: I've seen at stone sometimes they throw in a keg-hopped version on cask, so the precedent is there.

I don't remember seeing bags of Special B when I was at stone, at least, not enough to warrant the amount that they brew Arrogant Bastard. But yeah, lots of bags of C150 though.

permo: I've seen at stone sometimes they throw in a keg-hopped version on cask, so the precedent is there.
Theyre secretive about the A.B. recipe so maybe they hide special b bags?

I am wondering how they came up with the second recipe? I am wondering if C150 might be the lone dark crystal as opposed to special B? I know stone uses C150.....I am not sayin...but I am just sayin.

regardless, I am brewing this new one up and convention be damned, I am dry hopping with centennial and columbus. Aromatic Bastard!

I think they said that they saw an interview from many years ago that said the inspiration for this beer was a single hop, single malt, single specialty grain beer. Then they used the IPA as a basis, though I do not remember exactly how...

The recipes that Stone has published ( , ) all use WLP002.

I'll keep an eye out for updates to this recipe.

That you for posting those recipes.

I was looking to use up 4 ounces of Chinook leaf, looks like I found my recipe. Thanks
Do we know what the FG is for AB? Mash temp 154F?? Thanks

I was looking to use up 4 ounces of Chinook leaf, looks like I found my recipe. Thanks

I will provide an updated recipe when I have time and the rebrew episode is released on iTunes.

Eric

BeerPressure posted 148F for mash temp. I set my recipe up for a SG for 1.066 like he had and I'm guessing I'll end up with 1.012-1.016 for my FG. I plan on brewing on Sunday, made my starter yesterday (Thanksgiving).

thanks, If I go 90/10 w/ 2 row and SB my SRM is too dark so I backed off on the SB. Might be my computer screen though. Here's what I got so far w/ efficiency @ 75%. Feel free to critique.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
American Strong Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/4/2010
Boil Size: 7.33 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): ? Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%

Ingredients

12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 91.58 %
1.15 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8.42 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (85 min) Hops 35.8 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.55 %
Bitterness: 83.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 20.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.65 lb
Sparge Water: 4.95 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 17.06 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

thanks, If I go 90/10 w/ 2 row and SB my SRM is too dark so I backed off on the SB. Might be my computer screen though. Here's what I got so far w/ efficiency @ 75%. Feel free to critique.

Looks pretty good to me. I'll post mine below, keeping the 90/10 and the color is a little darker. I'm going to try to ferment mine a little warmer, trickier to do for me since my basement is now at 65F.

Back