Can you Brew It recipe for Ommegang Rare Vos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the Brewing Network website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1058
SRM 8.8
IBU 20
FG 1010

75 minute boil

5.28kg Belgian Pilsner 86.5%
350g Aromatic Malt 5.7%
470g Caravienne 7.7%

Mash at 146F for 60', raise to 154F for 20', mash out at 168F. Alternatively, mash at 152F for 60'

24.5g Styrian Goldings 5.25%AA 75'
7g Styrian Goldings 5'

0.15oz Coriander 15'
0.6oz Bitter Orange Peel 15'
0.3oz grains of paradise 15'

WLP570

Ferment at 72 degrees, ramp up to 78 degrees.

Notes: I do not know if they spices were ground or not. Personally, I usually coarsely grind coriander by putting it in a zip-lock bag and pounding it with a rolling pin or heavy glass. It cracks the seeds, but does not make a powder. I do this about 30 minutes before the boil to ensure that the spices retain freshness.

The brewer discussed the importance of obtaining fresh spices. Also, make sure to obtain the bitter orange peel, not zest or sweet peel.

WLP570 is historically a poor flocculating yeast. Just FYI. The brewer also tried this recipe with WLP500, WLP530, WLP550, and harvested yeast from a Rare Vos bottle. The only other yeast that was close was WLP530. Even then, it was a noticeably different beer.

I think a heard the first hop addition is for the full 75 minutes. Doesn't 8.8 SRM seem a little low for this? It appears to be more amber or copper color?

darynsd said:
I think a heard the first hop addition is for the full 75 minutes. Doesn't 8.8 SRM seem a little low for this? It appears to be more amber or copper color?

Fixed the hop addition time. I dont know about the color. I have never tried the beer.

Eric

Thanks for this. I love the show, but I hate that they don't provide text summary of the recipe.

Use a mortar and pessle to gently crack the spices. A teaball works wonders at boil time. ;)

Also, don't forget to rehydrate the peel in a cup or so of room tmep water, again, use a tea ball for the peels (they WILL clog stuff), and dump the water you rehydrated them with into the boil as well.

I brewed this and think it is an excellent recipe. The color is definitely in the 8-10 range, and the spices work wonderfully with the yeast flavors. I have had the distinct pleasure of drinking many bottles of Rare Vos when I travel to the East Coast and now finally get to have it on tap on the West Coast. Another home run by CYBI.

I'm gonna attempt to bring this thread back to life here. This is a great beer and one that I'd like to brew because it's much more interesting than a Belgian Blonde in my opinion.

In listening to the show and searching the internet I really believe the aroma malt the brewer is talking about in the show is Mouterij Dingemans Aroma 150 (56ish Lovibond). That would make the SRM of the beer right where it should be. The belgian aromatic that is widely available is basically their Aroma 50 (20ish L) and would definitely turn out a bit lighter if you were to use that malt.

The brewer mentions a whole bunch of stuff real fast like, not aromatic, aroma malt, belgian, amber, 150 and I know that last part has led a few to believe he is talking about CaraAroma.

I think Dingemans Aroma 150 is exactly what they use but I'm wondering how much of a flavor difference it makes if any? Since I can't seem to find that malt anywhere I'm kinda thinking they may have just used normal Aromatic malt on the show and the color was slightly off.

To anyone who has brewed this clone, what did you use?

One thing that I wish CYBI did was talk more specifically about what malt they used and what its Lovibond is. I've run into this problem several times and it can make a significant difference. It might not in this case but it definitely can in others.

Any estimate on time from brewpot to serving a cold one? I'm considering this for Thanksgiving, and would start Sept. 15. Possible? Thanks!

The recipe in Clone Brews says it is ready to drink two months after carbonating, peaks 3-5 months. I plan to brew this soon, thanks for sharing the recipe. But I guess I hope it will be ready by Superbowl.

Thinking about giving this a go next weekend, to hopefully be ready by mid/end June.

Will try and post notes as I go. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I bottled mine at the end of November. I've been trying one a month. Today I felt that it is ready, and my wife/taster thought it was very good.

Great recipe and a HUGE hit at my friend's wedding a few weekends ago. Definitely brewing this one up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Getting the urge to go Belgian again. Looking at doing this one, listening to the podcast now. Enjoyed a Rare Vos last night. :mug:

Sitting at roughly 1.010 at almost 3 weeks. I think she's done. Slightly green, but deliciously Belgian already. :mug:

Look forward to a side-by-side with the real deal in about 3 weeks.

RareVosFG.jpg

Great! Mine took a few months to condition in the bottle. I'm thinking of modifying the recipe next time.
Wow, that's long. I'll give it a shot after 3 weeks in bottles. Hopefully it carbs up by then. The yeast is a pretty weak floculator for sure so it should hopefully be swimming around in suspension looking for some chow.

Mine carbed up okay. But I always find that bigger beers take longer to taste right. My RV clone was 8.2%abv, didn't taste good for a long time. Do taste yours, but if they're not so good, be patient. Mine became one of my best beers over time.

Mine carbed up okay. But I always find that bigger beers take longer to taste right. My RV clone was 8.2%abv, didn't taste good for a long time. Do taste yours, but if they're not so good, be patient. Mine became one of my best beers over time.
Sounds good JohnSand. I'm pretty happy with the initial hydro sample but time will be the real judge for sure. It won't be consumed quickly no matter what so there should be plenty left a few months down the road in all likelihood. BTW mine is checking in at 7%.

Bottled last pm finally (>3 weeks). Thought I picked up a little band-aid in the yeasty dregs leftover in bottling bucket. First time for that type of flavor, not totally sure if that's what it was. Didn't get that from the hydro sample days earlier. Keeping fingers crossed!

Going to brew this up again in January. Brewed it last spring for a friend's wedding, and want to do a one year anniversary batch to surprise them. Thinking of doing a 100% Brett version to differentiate it from the original.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Phew, false alarm. No band-aid flavor at all 1 week in the bottle. Its pretty delish: fairly "clean" Belgian character (which is consistent with this yeast), wonderful nose, not heavy, very drinkable. nice light amber color. Should continue to get better with age (as well as carb up a bit more). Wouldn't hesitate to serve to others in a week or two. I didn't grind my coriander and grains of paradise, may do that next time. Its very easy drinking. Will do side by side in a few weeks with the real thing. Success!

Funny what you find in a search. I am planning a spiced Christmas Ale, and I found this thread.
This beer was universally approved at a homebrew meeting, the first time that had happened. We sampled it again at two and three years, they still enjoyed it. I drank the last couple of bottles when it was four or more years old, by then it was clearly oxidized.

Just cracked open a bottle of Rare VOS that had best by code 11/04/20, here in spring 2023, its still pretty darn good.
I'm going to round up the spices and yeast and try my own version.....
:bigmug:

Latest posts

Back