Can you Brew It recipe for Fuller's London Pride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
The initial brew was deemed to be not cloned

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1048
IBUs 40
SRM 9

4.67kg Marris Otter 95%
250g Simpson's Dark Crystal(approx. 70lov.)

20g Target 11%AA at 60m
18g Challenger 7.5%AA at 3m
18g Northdown 8.5%AA at 3m
6g Goldings 4.75%AA at 3m

WLP002

Mash at 148

Burtonize water with gypsum

Ferment at 17C, raise to 20C.

Discussion Notes:
This is done as a complex partigyle process by Fuller's which was not attempted to be recreated. It was noted that the commercial example has more of an "oversparged" flavor that was tannic whereas the clone did not have that flavor. The above recipe was voted not cloned by a 3-2 vote. It sounded very similar but others reported less malt profile and too much hop aroma. The bitterness of Fuller's was also described as "sharper" than the clone.

It is unknown at this time when a rebrew is scheduled, but Jamil suggested using a partigyle to recreate both the ESB and London Pride.

tbh you shouldent go for a "Burtonized" water, fullers isent in burton upon trent. go for a london water profile insted?

I brewed this a couple weekends ago, and I'm really happy with it. I had a bottle tonight that was getting close to conditioned (8 days in the bottle), and it tastes a lot lot London Pride, although I've never had it fresh in England before. I just followed this recipe, and didn't bother with the partigyle. I have a feeling this batch isn't going to last long, lol.

As I recall, part of the reason this wasn't cloned was because the brewer completely blew it, and didn't use English malts, and he winged it on a couple of the hops and maybe the yeast as well. I think it's funny as hell how they talk up Northern Brewer, but never both to order their ingredients from them, which would clearly make the British clones easier, because they've got all the right malts. I really don't think that the partigyle procedure is as necessary as they claim in the re-brew. It's all about bothering to get the right stuff.

Latest posts

Back