Can you Brew It recipe for Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil (if not otherwise specified), Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

Italicized text is from Sean Paxton's Website Also, here is the brewsheet.

Brewer: Sean Paxton
Asst Brewer: Carlos Vaquerano and Mike McLaughlin
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.70 gal
OG: 1.200
FG: 1.050
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 141.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
32.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) (1.6 SRM) Grain 58.18 %
1.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
3.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (120 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
3.00 oz Simcoe [11.10 %] (120 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
3.00 oz Warrior [14.50 %] (120 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
12.00 gal Sonoma, CA Water
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [2500 ML Starter Yeast-Ale]
1 Pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) [2500 ML Starter Yeast-Ale]
Total Grain Weight: 33.00 lb

Post Boil (Read Notes)
22.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 40.00 %
2.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops
2.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops

Mash Schedule: Abbey Mash Profile

Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Acid Rest Add 46.20 qt of water at 99.6 F 95.0 F
15 min Protein Rest Decoct 13.04 qt of mash and boil it 122.0 F
15 min Gluten Rest Decoct 8.16 qt of mash and boil it 135.0 F
60 min Beta Sacrification Decoct 10.28 qt of mash and boil it 149.0 F
15 min Mashout Decoct 14.35 qt of mash and boil it 165.0 F

Notes:

In a bowl, mixed together 3 Oz. Amarillo, 3 Oz. Warrior, 3 Oz. Simcoe and blended together. Made 40 Dixie cups with 6.3 grams in each cup. Added 1 cup every 3 minutes for all of 120 minute boil.

Divided Dextrose into 28 individual 12 oz ziplock bags. After transfer to conical, started adding the second day, twice daily (12 oz in the morning and 12 oz in late afternoon) for 14 days. I had a 1 gallon pitcher and whisk sitting in a bucket of StarSan. Would dump 2 quarts from the conical and add 12 oz of Dextrose, then pour back into the conical. Towards the end, would see how fermentation was doing before adding. If fermentation slowed, re-think before you add more sugar as once added the final beer may be sweet.

1/2 gallon of wort was added to the high gravity yeast to make a starter. Second yeast was added on day 5 of fermentation.

Oxygen was added once daily for 4 days. 30 seconds @ 1200 psi with 0.2 micron SS Stone.

Dry hopping: Added 2 oz. Amarillo, 2 oz. Warrior and 2 oz. Simcoe to a bowl and blend. 28 ziplock backs were filled with 6 grams of hops each. 1 bag was added with each evening addition of dextrose and continued for a total of 28 additions or 4 weeks.

Fermentation was on the cold side, roughly 66-70 degrees. Lots of heat from the yeast.

OF ended at 1.050. Let sit for a few days on yeast to help finish fermentation. Stopped adding sugar on day 13. Total dextrose added as 21.5 pounds. Re-calculated OG was 1.200.

Bottled in 6 oz champagne splits, no addional yeast or sugar added. No carbonation. Final % with high gravity hydrometer was 20.7% abv.

Beer has aged nicely and a wonderful treat for on a cold night or for a beer tasting event.

Discussion notes:
Sean's method would be difficult without using a conical fermenter. Dextrose for the sugar additions was "critical." Regular table sugar would have been much tougher to dissolve in the fermenting beer. Jamil recommended smaller additions of undissolved dextrose several times during the day if using a carboy. Jamil restated how important it was to monitor the health of the fermentation before making dextrose additions as Sean wrote above. Sean said that he would have made some of the sugar bags smaller for when fermentation slows.

Sean recommended foods with apricots and peaches for food pairings. Jamil recommended spiking hot tea with the DH 120 :tank:

Jamil said that one technique worth trying to reach the attenuation need for this beer would be to add a portion of the WLP099 with the initial pitch of WLP001 yeast.

Tasty said that he would be tempted to place some of the simple sugar in the boil, possibly 5% of the total simple sugars. He also said that he would consider dropping the initial yeast after a period of time, then pitching a starter with both WLP001 and WLP099.

Jamil said that 40 separate hop additions might be going overboard and just doing ten may suffice.

starting this today.
I do not have a conical so this will be interesting.

I'll post stats here as soon as this gets rolling.

Cheers
Pat

so in looking at this the conical would be very nice if you can crash cool it to drop the hops and yeast out.

I ended up using a racking cane with 3 mesh filters on it.
Its sitting in my 5 gallon keg right now aging.

The aroma was intense.
Smelled like pine and grapefruit.

I got to the last 6 bags of dextrose and backed of as it looked like the yeast had final crapped out.

In the future i would recommend some yeast energizer early on and hitting it with pure o2 to save time vs just a aeration stone.

Brewing it was easy and i went with the over board additions.
P1010275.JPG

Thanks for the update Pat.

I'm going to do this in August but use a Belgian yeast insteaed of Cal Ale.

I don't have a conical either so I'll have simliar challenges with racking.

I brewed it last sunday, 15 August. I hit a starting gravity of 1.100 without dextrose. I'm on day 4 now. I mixed things up a bit and took a little bit of Tasty's advice and a little of Jamil's advice. I front loaded the sugar additions and by time the 14th day comes around I will only be adding 3 oz dextrose. I've been adding the dry hops, nutrients and O2 in the evening's. Today will be the last day for the O2 and nutrients as I will pitch the high gravity yeast tomorrow. I'm fermenting at 67 degrees and used Ardennes yeast. The hop aroma isn't as intense as I thought it would be, then again I'm still dry hopping. I've added yeast nutrients, but will add yeast energizer when I pitch the new yeast.

One thing that I did differently than you and the can you brew it recipe was with the hop additions. I mixed all of the hops together into a bowl and instead of dividing them all up into dixi cups I found an old coffee scoop that held the correct amount of hops in grams that needed to be added every 3 minutes. So I stood over the kettle during the boil and added one scoop every 3 minutes and ended with the boil with exactly one scoop left at knock out.

I also didn't save one liter for the high gravity starter. I was nervous about that one liter getting contaminated sitting around for a few days before I pitched the yeast into it. So I'll just make a DME starter instead.

I'm shooting for an adjusted starting gravity of about 1.18 and a final gravity of, hopefully, 1.040-1.030. I may have to adjust the pH toward the end or add some amalyse to help get the numbers lower. That will give me an ABV of 17-18%, IBU of 130, and a BU/GU ratio of .410 and about 1,000 calories per pint. Good thing I won't be drinking a pint at a time; I'd probably end up on the floor before I could finish one.

It was a lot of fun to brew and I'm really looking forward to the final result. I will bottle these into 12 oz bottles (my brew shop didn't have brown 6oz champaign punts) with no additional sugar or yeast and hope for the best. I highly recommend this beer to anyone looking for an awesome challenge, but be warned, it isn't cheap, about $120.

Question for you: being that you don't have a conical either, how long did you let the beer sit on the yeast after the 14 days? I'm still trying to figure out if I will keep the beer on the yeast for the full 28 days of dry hopping, or if I should rack after about 3 weeks and continue dry hopping.

-Mike

Mike i left mine on the yeast cake for 14 days after the fermentation and slowed to a crawl and ramped up the temp a bit so it would finish out. I then racked too a secondary and cooled to 36 for a week to get lots of the hop mass too drop out.

I should have used some finings. super kleen or such.

I still had to triple bag the siphon.
Mine has been in cold storage for a little over 2 months.
Going to pull a sample on my b-day next month.

Since mine is in a keg ill let it age out for 6 more months and bottle in some splits.
Smells like orange candy with some brandy notes.

final og was 1.042.
Much higher than i would have cared for.

I am planning on a ultra stout based on world wide stout.
Still looking for a recipe or ill have to come up with my own.

My BSIIPA (Belgain Style Imperial IPA) is still chugging away. I'm down to the 11th day and the airlock is still bubbling every 1-2 seconds. Last night I plugged in the total amount of sugar I've added to this point and took a gravity reading; it's at 1.036 with an ABV of 16%. Very happy so far. I added yeast energizer and amylase on day 7 after I pitched the new yeast.

I still have about 1 lb of sugar to go and will take another gravity reading Friday (day 13) and make a decision to add more sugar or stop. I may add some more amylase and energizer at that point if needed. After day 14 I'll let it sit for another week and continue to add the dry hops. After that I'll rack and cold condition it for a week or so then into bottles. I hope to have one by Thanksgiving.

The world wide stout recipe sounds like a great idea now that I have some more confidence in brewing something this big. The biggest I've done before was a barley wine at 12% and a tripel at 11%. I haven't had a world wide stout but I can imagine it is something like a burbon or scotch. Any luck with a recipe? What are your thoughts?

So upon tasting this tonight it still was not as sweat as the dog fish i tried last year or this year.

Aroma in the glass, lemon peel, grape fruit rind, pine and more pine.

Color, was much lighter than dog fish. This was deep yellow with a orange hue.

The head was an off creamy white with fantastic lacing.
Lasted for 10 minutes in a brandy glass.

Taste seemed a bit dry, hoppy but not over powering. Some nice citrus and pine notes. Warming for sure.

I can taste the dogfish flavor profile, but its much hoppier than when i tried a bottle of 09 6 months ago.

With age the hop burst will fade and the sweetness will come forward.
Had 3 tastes tonight. It was fantastic this early on.

I have not had time to draft a world wide clone yet.
But i have had trouble striking a balance with my Russian imperials. I tend to be a touch high on dark malts and get a ever so slightly chalky profile. So ill have to balance it with all that extra dextrose.

I may do a second batch of 120 min ipa with a different hop profile.
I was thinking a ton of citra with simco and armarillo.

Glad too hear yours is chugging along nicely.
Sounds like you will get better a abv than i did before my yeast crapped out.

I listened to this episode last night and am interested in starting it. My questions:
This recipe is for a 6 gallon batch, correct? The first paragraph states it is in the OP, however the stats contradict it and say it is for 10 gallons. I know the sugar is what they called for in the episode, but then again he had made a 10 gallon batch.

Secondly, I'm considering brewing in a 7g primary, then move to a 6 gallon carboy for the dry hopping. With this amount of hops-and the continual addition of more-how has everyone gone about adding them? Just directly then filtering? Multiple muslim bags?

i reduced everything they did by 40% to convert it into a 6 gallon batch.
I added them right into the fermentor with the dextrose feedings.
After it was all said and done i cooled the beer and proceeded to rack it of the hops.

If i remember correctly it took 2 trys to get most of the hop mass out.

just out of curiosity, with all the trub & hops, how much beer were you left with come bottling time?

i had just shy of 5 gallons.
I had 6.25 in the kettle and 6 in the fermentor in looking at my notes.

I stopped feeding with the last bag or two as the yeast was really having a hard time.

it would have been it i wasn't so patient with it.
Cooling it in my fridge for a week helped alot of the hops and yeast settle out.
That being said for a beer that cost as much as this did to brew it was painful loosing a gallon.

Bumping an OLD thread. I took a stab at this one this weekend, 5 gallons.

Here's my problem, and my LHBS had the same issue with the recipe: 11lb of dextrose with a 16.5lb grain bill?? He claims we'll get cidery off flavors.I said it was a 120 clone and a 21% beer, but he seemed pretty adamant.

I slightly adjusted the recipe: glucose syrup (pure, not karo) instead of dextrose. Slightly more grains and hops, slightly less sugar equivalent.

Here's my recipe:

18.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) (1.6 SRM)
2 lb Amber Malt
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Warrior
6.0 gal Water

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1 Pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099)

Total Grain Weight: 20 lb

Post Boil
10.00 lb Corn Syrup (Glucose, pure)
1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo
1.00 oz Warrior

My plan to feed the sugar is sort of mad scientist meets ICU nurse... I fabricated a bottle-feeding system with a valve on the bottom. It has graduated marks on it, with 6oz increments (supposed to feed it 6oz twice daily until fermentation halts). This way, there's no risk of contamination.

We started the mash at like 10:00 at night lol.

Boiled for 123 minutes, watched Wayne's World. I used an app called IntervalTimer, intended for workouts. I set the timer to do a 3 minute set with a 3 minute cooldown, and had it alert us with the boxing bell. The bell tolls, add hops. It worked pretty pissa actually.

Aeration was for 1 hour via lifted Super Duty for 40 miles. Trade secret.

Got home and got the glucose feeder sanitized and filled. I was worried about the viscosity being an issue, but certainly not having to open the fermenter twice a day makes me more comfortable. With the valve fully open, the glucose comes out at roughly 1 oz every 10 minutes - the full 6oz I needed took an hour. Not exactly breackneck speed, and I can't even sit back relax and have a home brew for the morning feeding... I figured I could try a heating pad, but by the time it got down the hose it'd probably cool and slow and block up the warm runny stuff. So, I just open it when I wake up and close it an hour later. I made graduations on it every 6oz with a Sharpie, using a measuring cup and water. Two ticks per day is what it gets - so when I filled it, I marked the level, and then counted down 2 and wrote the dates of the upcoming days... Idiot proof IMO. If I forget one (or worse, forget that I forgot one), I can just catch up if need be.

Made a pretty epic started for the high-gravity yeast, however the yeast that I got for free because it was a year past the expiration isn't doing much of anything. Need to overnight some fresh stuff from Amazon.

Good news and bad news update:

The good news is that my secondary LHBS had some WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast, so I was able to pitch it quickly (Monday). Within an hour it was bubbling, so I have to assume the other one was just dead - the first LHBS guy told me it could take a couple days - maybe if there were some good cells sure, but I'm sure they were toast.

The bad news (which isn't even all that horrible at all if you're yeast) is that on day 3 I forgot to close the valve on the glucose and I let in about a week's worth of sugar. No big deal, same as front loading it I suppose. The bubbling is still going at a medium pace, so I'm ok with it. I need to get more to fill my bucket anyways, I finally found out the conversion for Dextrose to Corn Syrup, and I need to add like 5 more pounds because of the water weight of the syrup vs. the powder.

The epic starter is bubbling away happily, it'll be pitched tomorrow.

Once that slows I'll rack over to secondary and start the dry hopping for 4 weeks. That seems a tad excessive - I think maybe toning it back to 3 or even 2 weeks??

3oz hops spread over 28 feedings? It just seems like I'll be opening the fermenter up an unnecessary amount of times, possibly exposing it to contamination.

Happily resting in secondary on more hops. I skipped the every day hop addition in favor of just dumping them all in for 2 weeks.

Back