Can you bottle in growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donajr

Reaction score
I am a newer brewer that loves all the helpful info on this site. Thanks.

But the question I have is Can you bottle in growlers. I can't seem to find the answer here.
Thanks

People will tell you yes, but the consensus is that growlers are not pressure vessels and are not safe to bottle in.

PS - Welcome to HBT

I used to bottle and used a couple of growlers on every batch for years. However, I have had a couple explode on me. finding a half gallon of beer and broken glass in the pantry is no fun.

After the 2nd one went I decided to start kegging.

Most of the time I did not have any problems. But you need to be prepared for a growler bomb every now and then.

If you can find "flip top" growlers it works fine= I have 2 and I use them often. The screw caps never seemed a good option.

I have used flip-top ones for years without problems, and I use a large half-gallon one for parties. I soak the rubber gaskets in idophore or bleach and also treat them with food grade silicon to keep them from drying out and letting air or C02 pass.

Back