Can you age beer in a CAN?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so i just got a Wild Plum farmhouse ale from Tallgrass and was wondering if ageing in a can is alright or if it is not a good idea. Lemme know if there is a thread out there regarding this or if you have had any experience with it, Thanks all! :D

Modern cans are lined so there should be no reason that any off flavors will leach into the beer. Just as with a bottled beer as long as it's a style that benefits from aging then you should be fine.

its a farmhouse ale brewed with wild plums and french saison yeast, not very flavorful yet so i wanted to see how itd be after a year or so

their is no reason to think that you cannot age a beer in a can. The limning will leach off no flavors, and I guess that it can only get better after time.

Oskar Blues "Ten fidy" is a 10.5 imperial stout and they solely can.
Got 2 4pcks in the cellar and they get better by the year!!

Age anything you like, my guidlines are that it has to be over 8% unless style dictates otherwise. (IE. Gueze, lamics, sours)

Cheers!

EDIT: After reading the reason you want to age it you have to make sure they used "wild bugs" in the making of the saison and that it wasent just a sachh ferment or else you will get no expanded profile from what your tasting now just a mellowing and marriage of the flavors.

Back