Can you aerate the wort post pitching.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and I don't think I aerated the wort enough. I just used the transfer of wort from kettle to carboy as aeration before pitching the yeast. Is it too late for this batch? Should I wait and see or is it possible to aerate the beer 24hrs after pitching the yeast?

View attachment 1453964213077.jpg

I did it once. Pitched my yeast and forgot to pitch. I shook the crap out of the carboy with no issues. It's probably not ideal but I think you would be ok.

Looking at the photo, and assuming it's a normal-gravity ale, I think you're probably fine with the aeration you already have. But if you're worried about it, and no krausen has formed yet, then yes, you can aerate it a little. But if active fermentation has already commenced, I wouldn't risk it. As reassurance, note that if active, visible fermentation has already started, then that's a fairly sure sign that you did indeed already have plenty of oxygen, and further aeration is unnecessary anyway.

Back