Can wine Primary fermentation be done in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeflydude

Reaction score
I'm planning to make my first wine this weekend and would like to use a 6.5 gallon Carboy for primary fermentation. The instructions recommend a minimum 7.9 gallon bucket. I assume that is just for head space to prevent foam overs like in homebrewing. I always use a blow off tube with my Homebrew because it always foams over. Does anyone know of a reason not to use the Carboy for primary?

I'm planning to make my first wine this weekend and would like to use a 6.5 gallon Carboy for primary fermentation. The instructions recommend a minimum 7.9 gallon bucket. I assume that is just for head space to prevent foam overs like in homebrewing. I always use a blow off tube with my Homebrew because it always foams over. Does anyone know of a reason not to use the Carboy for primary?

No, that's fine.

I couldn't imagine trying to punch a cap through the tiny hole on a carboy, so if your wine (kit?) includes skins I would not recommend a carboy.

I couldn't imagine trying to punch a cap through the tiny hole on a carboy, so if your wine (kit?) includes skins I would not recommend a carboy.

Yes, if its just juice the carboy will be fine. If you have grapeskins to 'punch down', a carboy is not the best option.

Back