Can we use Sonic Ice for whiskey or cocktails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkhooman85

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I developed a new interest in cocktail making in the past few weeks. Plus, I tried to make some cocktails in my spare time like bourbon mojito, silver 75, whisky smash, and smoky sour. All the cocktails were quite similar in taste. Still, my biggest concern is that my favorite smoky sour cocktail was tasting a bit different than the one I usually order at the local bar. At first, I thought it was because of the egg white (which is optional in the recipe), but still, it tastes different!

After doing some research, I found that we should use cracked Ice for shaking cocktails. Cracked Ice is between the standard cubed Ice and crushed Ice, which is useful in preparing stirred drinks. They offer more surface area, which helps in proper dilution (source).

But I usually use sonic Ice, which is quite similar to cracked Ice; it also provides more surface area, which can help in dilution. I like sonic ice more because it's chewable. But I read online that cube ice is more prominently used in restaurants and bars to chill hard liquor like whiskey without ruining the taste of the drinks. This is the article I am taking about-
https://pesoskitchenandlounge.com/flake-ice-vs-nugget-ice-vs-cube-ice-how-are-they-different/
I was wondering if I should use cube ice for shaking and mixing the cocktail and if I use sonic ice while serving, will it cause the cocktail to taste different?

Can someone suggest to me the best Ice for cocktails? I'd appreciate any inputs.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a mold that makes ice balls that are ~2" in diameter for drinking whiskey.
And also have these stainless steel "diamonds" that go in the freezer that are made specifically to keep from watering down drinks.

Both came from amazon, although neither would be appropriate in the shaker.

I also heard about the reusable ice cube and they keep drinks cool but we can not chunk on them.

i think there is a 'cool' name for something like this for mixed drinks, but don't know it...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/9-...-UWrS_dWLJaStRk8SF2uVIljFKHUjJwBoCeusQAvD_BwE

(and not sure it's the same thing, think i'm thinking muddller)

and i'd use the scraper and just freeze a glass baking dish in the freezer, for scraping ice off....'if i drank that much' anyway ;) :mug:

and if only wanted a couple cocktails, maybe these in the freezer...and the scraper...

https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Origin...ocphy=9051700&hvtargid=pla-349244861002&psc=1

and if sugar is involved, i'd think adding it to the water prior to freezing and scraping, would be interesting 'twist'?

Last edited:
I love sonic ice. But IME in melts and dilutes cocktails quickly. It is great for frozen cocktails such as a Pina Colada but not so much for high alcohol mixed drinks. It really only matters how much you like sonic ice and how long one allows a mixed drink linger before consumption.

I've been exploring the world of Tiki drinks and there are a lot of people using Sonic ice for their creations, and it probably lends itself well to those types of drinks. For a smokey whiskey based drink it's probably not going to be the best choice, it will water your drink down more with more surface area. You could scale the ice accordingly to account for this. I'd say set up a tasting experiment with both types of ice and do a blind tasting with your drinking crowd and what differences are noted.

Back