Can we use a oxygen tank ment for a acetylene torch to aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I've been working for this mechanic and he keeps a couple tanks of o2 and was wondering if I could use one for aeration.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I don't see why not, my only concern would be is if there was some crap inside the tank, since its for a cutting torch there could be some impurities in the tank that the co filling it would not be concerned about.

Your best bet is to just go to lowes and buy a tank of o2 it's like 10-12 bucks.

Yep, it works! Just make sure you get an aerating stone and tubing, and don't forget to sanitize it all. (Boiling water works best for the stone.)

I don't see why not, my only concern would be is if there was some crap inside the tank, since its for a cutting torch there could be some impurities in the tank that the co filling it would not be concerned about.

Your best bet is to just go to lowes and buy a tank of o2 it's like 10-12 bucks.

Is this something I could possibly ask them at the filling station? Like what kind if impurities may lie in that o2.

Yep, it works! Just make sure you get an aerating stone and tubing, and don't forget to sanitize it all. (Boiling water works best for the stone.)

Have you used one if these tanks for aeration? And would you recommend the stones with the wand?

Yes... Oxygen is the same as medical, they just don't monitor it as strictly.if you're worried about impurities, use an air filter.

Have you used one if these tanks for aeration? And would you recommend the stones with the wand?

Yeah, just used a little hand tank and the wand setup.

I've been working for this mechanic and he keeps a couple tanks of o2 and was wondering if I could use one for aeration.

Yes you can, no worries, no concerns. Welding O2 and medical O2 are both derived from the same supply source.

Yes... Oxygen is the same as medical, they just don't monitor it as strictly.if you're worried about impurities, use an air filter.

Would one of those air filters included with the aquarium pump style set up work?

Would one of those air filters included with the aquarium pump style set up work?

I'm not familiar with what it is, but I'd suspect it would.

The only real concern is IF the tank was used for something other than oxygen. That's another reason why they require prescriptions for medical vs industrial. Medical tanks have all stainless valves and assure no tank contamination. Plus they "test" the oxygen used for the medical tanks even though it's the same source as industrial oxygen.

I bought a $7 medical oxygen tank off Craig's list. Took it to industrial supplies and they swapped it for an industrial tank filled with oxygen. I've had no issues with it what-so-ever. And I don't bother with filtering. It's kinda the same deal with filtering co2. Won't hurt, but almost pointless in my opinion.

I'm not familiar with what it is, but I'd suspect it would.

The only real concern is IF the tank was used for something other than oxygen. That's another reason why they require prescriptions for medical vs industrial. Medical tanks have all stainless valves and assure no tank contamination. Plus they "test" the oxygen used for the medical tanks even though it's the same source as industrial oxygen.

I bought a $7 medical oxygen tank off Craig's list. Took it to industrial supplies and they swapped it for an industrial tank filled with oxygen. I've had no issues with it what-so-ever. And I don't bother with filtering. It's kinda the same deal with filtering co2. Won't hurt, but almost pointless in my opinion.

Oh man this works out better than expected, because I actually have a medical o2 tank that I brought home with me when I was working for this home remodeling company. They were gonna throw it away, I figured I might be able to get it refilled, but that didn't work out. I'm glad to know that I can trade it in awesome thanks man.

Oh man this works out better than expected, because I actually have a medical o2 tank that I brought home with me when I was working for this home remodeling company. They were gonna throw it away, I figured I might be able to get it refilled, but that didn't work out. I'm glad to know that I can trade it in awesome thanks man.

So before you get too stoked, this is what happened....

I got an oxygen tank from my dad who got it free. It's aluminum and tall skinny kind with a regulator... Obviously medical. I had the same issues as everyone else trying to get it filled.

I bagged the idea because I saw a regular co2 tank on Craig's list for $7. It's a high pressure green tank. Looks just like a regular co2 tank. I assumed, sweet! It's an industrial tank... Score!

Bought it, took it to air gas.... No such luck. It was still a medical tank! They refused to do anything with it! So I left, drove 4 minutes up the road to another gas company. I walked in and laid it out to them exactly what happened and what I'm trying to do... The guy was cool as hell and asked his boss if he could swap it. They said ok... $25 more, I had a swappable industrial oxygen tank filled.

The tanks is EXACTLY the same as the one I gave them only difference is the valve is not stainless steel.

Btw, the original $7 included the regulator too! And it works great. So I lucked out.

image.jpg

So the moral of the story, shop it around if need be. The same thing happened with a co2 tank I got. It had no sticker. One air gas said NO WAY NOT TOUCHING IT. Told me it was worthless. Took it to a different one, they swapped it with no issue.

Good luck.

I have been told, that the main difference between medical grade, and welding grade O2, are / is the differences in the tank certification, ( medical tank is cleaned and vacuumed during the inspection / hydro procedure), and the hardware, ( valves, etc...), and not all medical will have stainless valves, ( see above).

Otherwise, the O2 comes from the same source, whose standards are pretty rigid, 'cause it also includes the supply for "aviators breathing oxygen".

I use mine on every batch with a stone and tubing. dip it in the star sans for a few minutes, run some O2 through it and have never had any problems. At least 100 batches using it.

Back