Can Water/Grist Ratio Affect Maltyness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Only reason I ask is that I have a beer that I brew once a year. A MaiBock Helles. Brought it to NHC in Philly 2 years ago, and a prominent figure in the Home Brew world tried it and was impressed. So impressed he was bragging to his buddy that it was a gold medal, but I didn't enter it. Along with a lot of fellow home brewers, I to was very impressed with that years batch. Now, last year I brewed it, but I went to 1 quart of water per lb. of grain. Different then what I normally do for just this one beer. 1.25 quartsa of water per lb. of grain. Don't know why I changed the grist ratio, but I did. And it came out different. Yup, it was good, but it was not my normal "Bread in a glass" of beer. Can the grist ratio have that much of an affect of the maltyness of a beer?

Same OG? I don't think grist ratio could affect much if it were the same OG.

So if you hadn't of added the pilsner it would have been the same OG? Pilsner isn't really malty. More likely the OG of the specialty grains that matters when you talking "bread".

Latest posts

Back