Can U make a 2 gal starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

The Govna

Reaction score
so, i'm about to brew an Imperial Stout that has a whole lotta malt in it. I need a super high yeast count. Is it possible to make a 2 gallon starter?

What I was thinking was that I would take a portion of the DME the recipe calls for and use it to make a starter a week or so before I actually brew the rest of the wort. Then when I make the wort I'd just add my 3 gallon wort to my 2 gallon starter that has already been fermenting for a week. Any thoughts?

Bokonon

Reaction score
You can do that but you probably won't be really happy with the results since your starter will make up a large portion of your beer. So you'll have 2/5ths of boring beer without any hops and probably not the right color.

If you really want to make a big starter you should make a lower gravity batch of beer and then repitch the yeast from that.

or if you want to make that big of a starter. let it ferment out completely, chill it down to let the yeast drop out, and then decant most of the liquid leaving mostly just yeast behind

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
No need to make a starter that size. I pitched a regular sized starter (1/4 gallon) for my Wee Heavy (1.080 OG) and it was just fine. I suppose if you're worried you could step it up to 1/2 gallon but I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

Foovanadil

Reaction score
I would agree. Brew a small beer first then repitch on the cake for your Imperial Stout.
+1

I have a RIS going right now. I made a SNPA clone using WLP001 and then pitched my RIS ontop of the cake from the SNPA. All appears to be going swimmingly . :mug: