Can U make a 2 gal starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Govna

Reaction score
so, i'm about to brew an Imperial Stout that has a whole lotta malt in it. I need a super high yeast count. Is it possible to make a 2 gallon starter?

What I was thinking was that I would take a portion of the DME the recipe calls for and use it to make a starter a week or so before I actually brew the rest of the wort. Then when I make the wort I'd just add my 3 gallon wort to my 2 gallon starter that has already been fermenting for a week. Any thoughts?

You can do that but you probably won't be really happy with the results since your starter will make up a large portion of your beer. So you'll have 2/5ths of boring beer without any hops and probably not the right color.

If you really want to make a big starter you should make a lower gravity batch of beer and then repitch the yeast from that.

or if you want to make that big of a starter. let it ferment out completely, chill it down to let the yeast drop out, and then decant most of the liquid leaving mostly just yeast behind

No need to make a starter that size. I pitched a regular sized starter (1/4 gallon) for my Wee Heavy (1.080 OG) and it was just fine. I suppose if you're worried you could step it up to 1/2 gallon but I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

Back