Can this stainless pump handle homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.waynepumps.com/index.cfm/product/301_9/pls100.cfm

Hello everyone. I found these STAINLESS STEEL pumps on e-bay and the guy selling them is pushing them for about $100.00. This pump is posted as a sprinkler pump but says that it's a factory sealed, stainless steel centrifugal pump. If that's the case then it's cheaper than a march, pumps like a little giant and looks sweet as hell! Seems like the manufacturer didn't want to pay the money to get this pump certified for corrosive liquids, higher fluid temps, etc; but I don't see anything that would have trouble with the heat.. Let me know what you think and thanks ahead of time.:mug:

If it is for a sprinkler system there are probably a couple of problems with using it for brewing:

1. It's probably not rated for the temperature range we need.
2. As it is designed for lawn use, it is almost definitely not food safe. The housing may be stainless steel but all the little bits and pieces inside like the impeller, seals & gaskets, etc. could leach toxic chemicals into your beer. It doesn't appear to be a magnetic drive pump, so there is even more stuff in there that would touch the beer than you'd find in e.g. a March 809.

in short, nope, can't use it for beer. Just think about a seal leaking industrial grease.... and then go back to looking at mag drive pumps ;)

Back