Can the pressure valve on these pin lock lids be repaired?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
20170607_121649_zpswolqgbqw.jpg

20170607_121656_zpsxjbwqwoe.jpg

I am referring to replacing the small tan piece shown in the first picture. I had two of these stop holding pressure on probably ten year old kegs this week. After the first one died I bought a replacement lid on kegconnection but after the second one passed on I thought I'd see if anyone had found a cheaper option than replacing the entire lid. I searched morebeer, kegconnection, and brewhardware and could not find that part listed. I don't even know if it is replaceable but if any group would it is HBT.

Yes, I've replaced a couple when I first bought me pin locks. Prices are fairly high for the replacement valves though. I have two more that recently started leaking and they are waiting to be replaced, I found them (forget where) for $14.95 each!!! Ouch!
Seems like I didn't pay that much for the two replacement valves I purchased several years ago.

There appears to be an o-ring on the PRV. A cheaper option may be to replace the o-ring first.

For that price, I'd replace the entire lid so I can get a manual P-R valve. You can find them on Ebay for $12-$13 shipped (from China, but still... I just ordered 2 of these last weekend).

There's no way I'd pay more than maybe $3 to rebuild a static P-R valve.

The o-ring is not the problem. I can feel gas escaping through the pressure relief valve.

I was referring to the o-ring on the pressure relief valve. I checked mine when I got home and when you remove the PRV from the pin lock keg there is a o-ring underneath it.

For $0.25 a piece, it would be worth trying out instead of buying a new lid.

I was referring to the o-ring on the pressure relief valve. I checked mine when I got home and when you remove the PRV from the pin lock keg there is a o-ring underneath it.

[Applies palm to forehead] Ah, thanks.

I just removed the center pressure values from 2 lids and replaced the o-rings with the same #10 rings I use on my pin lock liquid and gas posts. The o-rings were not an exact fit but I was able to screw the pressure valve back into the lid with the new o-ring enough so that it is holding pressure.

So that was approximately a $.25 cent solution to repair each lid!

I just removed the center pressure values from 2 lids and replaced the o-rings with the same #10 rings I use on my pin lock liquid and gas posts. The o-rings were not an exact fit but I was able to screw the pressure valve back into the lid with the new o-ring enough so that it is holding pressure.

So that was approximately a $.25 cent solution to repair each lid!

That is great to know for when mine fail. I wasn't sure it would work but was really hoping it would.

That is great to know for when mine fail. I wasn't sure it would work but was really hoping it would.

After seeing that the #10 o-rings would work in a pinch I went to Lowe's and bought some #35's that you previously suggested and they are a better fit and also seem to be holding pressure.

The keg was designed for the soda industry.
The soda was served typically at ~60psi.
The keg has a burst rating of 130psi, PRV should go off slightly below that.
Beer is served at about 12psi when cold, same beer is ~30psi when at room temperature.

The PRV is of no concern to me, as we never get near those pressures.
My solution for leaky PRV's is to fill the back side with hot glue, while the glue is hot, I use a dental tool to actuate the valve and allow the hot glue into the valve. I let that cool, and the problem is solved, foe me.

Back