Can the built in digital thermostat in this freezer be over ridden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
Kenmore Elite 24.9 cu. ft. Chest Freezer (1658)

I have a chance to pick one of these up for $150 and the thing looks brand new, even though its 3 years old (one owner with original paperwork, hardly used)

my question is can you use these freezers with digital t-stats, or should you stick to mechanically controlled ones?

I'm concerned about this freezer being digitally temperature controlled, can you over ride or rewire these freezers with the built in thermostats to maintain temps at keezer temps (~38-40 degrees)? I have both the mechanical replacement thermostat, and a JC A419 controller, but obviously the mechanical one won't work since its digitally controlled. unless i completely disconnect the digital controller and rewire it with the new mechanical control, is that possible?

Also says it had an automatic alarm when temperature reaches above 23 degrees, and the last thing i want is an alarm going off i can't shut off. does anyone have one of these and can offer any tips or advice?

This would be used for an 8 tap tower system.

Thanks!

You could program the freezer thermostat for 0 degrees and connect your thermostat inline with the power cord.

anything can be overridden.... worst case, you'll have to bypass the electronics.

I had mine plugged into a Johnson control worked fine except for the beeping (temp warning) but found link on here to cut the wire to buzzer. Currently removing all the controls completely. 2009 model bought on sale 2010

does anyone know how to rewire the existing in-lid digital thermostat to be used for fridge temps? is there a digital equivalent to a set screw like on the mechanical t-stats?

does anyone know how to rewire the existing in-lid digital thermostat to be used for fridge temps? is there a digital equivalent to a set screw like on the mechanical t-stats?

depends on the tech used. if you could figure out what type of thermostat, you may be able to add some resistance to shift the scale up, but you'll need to determine what type of sensor it has, and the readout will never be correct at that point.

subscribed: I just picked up a frigidaire 20 cf upright freezer for 125 on CL and it is awesome like brand new, has the glass shelves. So I am in the same boat BK.....I havent seen any clear instructions on overriding...but I gather I can set the freezer to 0 and get a rancor controller and be fine?

thats probably what i'll do as well, was just wondering if anyone had any issues or rewired this version before. the temp alarm is kind of annoying but there is a thread for disabling that function.

what controller are you going with and where from BK?

i actually have both a ranco 1100 and a Johnson Controls A419 probably just pick one and go with it, the other i'll be using for my fermentation chamber. both controllers have their positives and negatives, i'm leaning towards liking the A419 its just easier and has the ability to change short cycle time whcih i don;t think the ranco does. But the ranco 1100 is able to switch from heating to cooling from the control screen where as the A419 you have to take off the back and change it manually. all small things but just little differences are all user preference.

Back