Can someone translate this for me please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier clone. I'm trying to decide on what yeast to go with. My two options are White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300 and Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068. The second one is what I'm leaning towards, but the description of it on AHS has me befuddled. In particular, it says:

"Since this is a true top cropping yeast, it requires full headspace of 33%. Ester formation is significantly affected by aeration and pitching rates. Crystal weisse production typically requires DE filtration, and may prove too difficult for Pad filtration only."

I assume 33% just means that it bubbles up a lot, so in order to avoid blowouts, you want a lot of free space in your primary at the top. Can anyone explain what the rest of it means? Thanks in advance

The banana and clove flavors can be controlled by the amount of aeration, the amount of yeast you put in it and the temperature of fermentation. crystal weisse is just a hefeweissen without all the yeast in it making it cloudy, this part just means the yeast doesn't settle out well and will need to be filtered if you want clear beer.

Crystal weisse is filtered wheat beer.. meaning it's not cloudy and yeasty and delicious. Pad filtration is the use of pads of fixed porosity to filter particles out. I don't know what DE filtration is.

As for the need for headspace, I find that a little strange, however it's commonly understood that underpitching a beer (giving it less than an optimal amount of yeast) will result in a longer fermentation time and may stress the yeast, so perhaps you will want to make a small starter.

Esters are going to be the banana and clove notes that you want in a hefe. If you aerate highly, you can expect to get more of this. You can overdo the esters. Pitching low amounts of yeast will also increase esters.

Someone back my statements up? I may have the pitching rate thing backwards.

You're not filtering, so don't worry. It's saying that the low flocculating yeast as well as suspended protein from the wheat will clog a pad filter quickly.

Ok, so less aeration and more yeast will translate to weaker flavors of banana and cloves? I'm not worried about making it into a crystal, so thanks for clearing that up.

Back