Can someone tell me if this is an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/beerinf.jpg/
beerinf.jpg

I used dry Safale US 05 sprinkled on the top on August 11. It was kept at a steady 70F the entire time and was monitored at all times. I did notice a bit of a sulpher smell emanating from the airlock after a week but it faded and I didn't worry about it.

This tasted ok and also smelled ok. I didn't know if this was infection or the result of putting yeast on top of the wort.

Infections typically look fuzzy/hairy ospyder webish for a lack of a better word, in my experience. Sometimes mold can grow. But if it tastes good...no inefection. You would know it immediately. Oh...an I sprinkle my dry yeast on top all of the time.

We ALWAYS put yeast on top of the wort. There's really no other way to add it....You typically put your wort in the fermenter, aerate it somehow, then add your yeast. So there's really no where else for it to go but on top.

Looks to me that you just have the remnants of a krausen on top. The bulk of it has fallen, but the top of our beer is rarely ever free of some floaties. If it neither tastes or smells off, then it's more than likely nothing.

Thanks for the responses! I was about to dump it because I've never had any of the seven batches I've done this far have the floaties like that.

OMG, unless you know for sure...with verification...never dump a batch. Especially if it doesn't taste bad.

I pointed out that it might be from pouring it top because it was dry ale pitched onto the foam from aeration. Since the little clumps looked like they had sat on a cloud, I figured it might be yeast protein/fermentation by-product.

I'm glad I didn't toss this although I was a little sad to see that I didn't get a few of the bottles as clean as I thought. I discovered some old yeast along the side of one bottle that the brush missed. Hopefully that doesn't infect each bottle although each had a full bath of starsan.

I pointed out that it might be from pouring it top because it was dry ale pitched onto the foam from aeration. .

Again, people do this all the time. What do you think the "foam from aeration is? It's wort!! It's EXACTLY what you want your yeast sitting on.....

The yeast isn't dumb, it's been doing this fermentation stuff for millenia...It's doesn't need us worrying and hovering over it. All we need to do is pitch it and walk away. It can figure out the rest.

Again, people do this all the time. What do you think the "foam from aeration is? It's wort!! It's EXACTLY what you want your yeast sitting on.....

The yeast isn't dumb, it's been doing this fermentation stuff for millenia...It's doesn't need us worrying and hovering over it. All we need to do is pitch it and walk away. It can figure out the rest.

I understand perfectly that this is the right and proper way to do it. I am not pointing it out as a means to suggest that I did something wrong or that this is an improper application. I merely pointed it out because I think it accounts for the clumps and film on the top of the brew.

I have never heard of anyone pitching yeast any other way than onto the top of the wort. I can't even imagine pouring wort on top of the yeast but maybe that would work too.

Thanks for your replies but we are on the same page.

I understand perfectly that this is the right and proper way to do it. I am not pointing it out as a means to suggest that I did something wrong or that this is an improper application. I merely pointed it out because I think it accounts for the clumps and film on the top of the brew.

No it doesn't "account for the clumps and film on the top" some yeast forms clumps some yeast forms little things that look like cottage cheese, some yeast forms what looks like a brain on top of the wort. As many strains of yeast as there are, there are that many different ways yeast lays on top of the wort, and in how it falls.

The bottom line is fermentation is ugly, and stinky, EVEN when, like it USUALLY is, is perfectly normal. So it's best just to relax.

Back