Can someone tell me about this keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlatl

Reaction score
So Ive had this keg for a number of years and I'd like to know more about it. Pictures say it all.

Am I allowed to have this? Does this thing have value? Do people want these things? Can it be restored i.e. polishing it, or does this ruin it? Should I take it to the junkyard for what its weight is worth as scrap?

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

Mike D

Looks like the start of a kick-ass smoker/bbq... Use the side hole for the smoke stack (the one that's not on the end)... Put a fire box on the side, and you're ready to rock on... :rockin:

Damn, didn't see the 'aluminum' stamp there... Ok, so depending on how thick, might not be good for a BBQ...

Making planters does sound like a cool idea... Leave the ends intact, so basically notch it so you can put soil into it... You could even put some hefty handles on the ends, so you can move it around with soil in it, as needed. :D

I'm not an expert, but it looks as though Adolph hitler's half brother, Adolph Coors the Brewer, owns it. Made in 1968, composed of half aluminum half giant Amazon jungle snake.

It looks like a retired Coors keg.
Its dated 3/68, So late 68's.

A lot of guys convert these into gas tanks for rat rods.
Aluminum is NOT a good choice for a BBQ or smoker...

I'm not an expert, but it looks as though Adolph hitler's half brother, Adolph Coors the Brewer, owns it. Made in 1968, composed of half aluminum half giant Amazon jungle snake.

Maybe the aluminum was processed through a giant anaconda... :eek:

JoeBronco said:
Aluminum is NOT a good choice for a BBQ or smoker...

Yeah, I know... Didn't see the stamp on the keg until that was mentioned... Adjusted my earlier post to reflect...

Still, there could be tons of decent uses for the old keg...

Rain barrel? Fit the side bung hole with a ball valve. Leave the ends intact, just fashion a funnel, or port the gutters to the end hole (once the fitting is pulled) to fill it up.

Get creative with it...

Convert it into a sink for where you brew. :D

Use the bung hole for the drain, and make sure the ends are visible... I think it would make a sweet addition to anyone's brew cave, or garage if they brew out there. You'll probably want to put a bead around where you cut, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Hardest part would be to cut it right/clean (or clean enough to not need to grind a ton)...

If you have a brew stand, turn it into a supply locker for different items that you might not want to leave connected all the time, or for other hardware you use while brewing...

Just a couple of ideas...

Now I'll be looking for one when I actually get to that point...

Convert it into a sink for where you brew. :D

Use the bung hole for the drain, and make sure the ends are visible... I think it would make a sweet addition to anyone's brew cave, or garage if they brew out there. You'll probably want to put a bead around where you cut, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Hardest part would be to cut it right/clean (or clean enough to not need to grind a ton)...

If you have a brew stand, turn it into a supply locker for different items that you might not want to leave connected all the time, or for other hardware you use while brewing...

Just a couple of ideas...

Now I'll be looking for one when I actually get to that point...

I dig the sink idea! Its just wide enough to not make that big of a mess and just deep enough to get the job done.

EDIT: Wow that sounds REALLY bad.

I dig the sink idea! Its just wide enough to not make that big of a mess and just deep enough to get the job done.

EDIT: Wow that sounds REALLY bad.

LMFAO!!!

If you convert it into a locker, you could install a combo lock in the bung hole... Although twisting around the dial in the bung hole could give some people the wrong idea... Probably not as bad as having a knob sticking out of it... :drunk:

A welder I knew hung one of these from chains on a swing pole for a mailbox. Now when some kid hits his mailbox with a ball bat it just swings out of the way, and they get a terrible ring in their hands. No more replacing mailboxes twice a year.

use it as a stool for the brew area, or a trash can in the brew area. you can mount a tap in the bung hole and drop in a 3 gal keg. you will have the coolest portable keggerater

Back