Can someone review my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvergti

Reaction score
To all,

This is my first attempt at creating my own recipe. If someone could review it to make sure I'm not going to screw things up (too terribly) it'd be greatly appreciated. My goal is to create a piney IPA.

3 gallon boil
5 gallon batch

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs briess Pilsen (LME)
3 lbs. Briess Munich (LME)
1 lbs. C-40

1.5oz nugget 60 min (1.0 at 60, .5 at 35)
1.5oz simcoe same as nugget
1.5oz willamette 20 min
.5oz simcoe 10min

Wyeast 1056

Dry hop:
1.0 oz simcoe
.5 oz willamette

I obviously like the pine of simcoe, just not sure how much to add and at what intervals.

does anyone have any tips/advice on creating recipes? I'm having fun with the kits, but I love this too much to not be creative!

Thanks a lot.

i would move some of your bittering hops up to later additions
2oz at 60min and 1oz at 35min will focus more on bitterness than flavor/aroma

i would also cut back on the c40 - to 1/2# at most
both the LMEs will have some crystal malts in there already

i personally don't get a ton of pine from simcoe, more citrus with some mild pine aroma but i've never paired it with willamette

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm definitely going to take your advice. Pardon my noobness, but I'd just like to clarify.

Same malt extracts
1/2lb c-40

Hop additions:
1 oz nugget 1oz simcoe at 60
.5 nugget and .5 simcoe at 35
Leave rest where is

I was toying around with the idea of adding some spruce essence at second fermentation, foolish? I am also curious of the pairing of willamette and simcoe, I'll let you know the outcome. I'm most likely going to add more that originally posted. Thanks again!

isn't that the same hop schedule you were proposing above?

i'm a big fan of hardly any additions at 60min and a ton of additions after 20min, esp when you have high AA hops like simcoe and nugget

i'd do something like 1oz of nugget at 60min or FWH and then move everything up you planned on adding to the 20min mark and later

i don't have a way of calculating IBU in front of me but you should still be close to hitting a 1:1 BU:GU ratio that way and will have way more focus on hop flavor and aroma than just straight bitterness

Back