Can someone help me figure out my FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
Hello all,
So Saturday I brewed my first AG which was wicked fun. It was a Milk Stout. My estimated OG was supposed to be 1.062 (without the 1 lb. Lactose factored in) I took a gravity reading before adding the Lactose and got a OG of 1.060, which I was wicked stoked about.

Anyway My OG after Lactose was added was 1.070 and my question is what should I expect my FG to be? It was supposed to be 1.016 without lactose so should I just expect it to be 1.026? I'm not sure how 'Unfermentable" lactose really is so I'm not really sure what to be looking for.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Lactose has about 35 gravity points per lb. Assuming a 5 gallon batch, it should up your FG by about 7 points

Edit: though your logic makes sense to me. OG up 10 points, FG up 10 points, since it is unfermentable.

Okay this seems about right. I think after all the evaporation I came in with about 4.5-4.75 gallons of wort.

Thanks!

Back