Can someone explain this video to me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBear

Reaction score

So I’m a little confused about what he’s doing in this video.

He starts with only a small amount of liquid from his bottling bucket.

Then adds grains to a bag like he’s doing a brew in a bag method of all grain.

But instead of proceeding on that… he immediately attaches a column still and proceeds to hook the water cooling tower to the same bottling bucket he used to add a small amount of water to.

Seemingly skips the part of tossing the fore-shots… collecting distillate into a glass.

And then says measure the alcohol…

I’m not sure I follow where the alcohol came from with such a small amount of liquid… and I have no clue why he added all that (I’m assuming) grain before starting.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Also… opinions on the column still? What products would be best for this style of still?

Dude... don’t believe everything you se on YouTube. That whole thing looked bogus to me.

Creating poison!
The still is a POS and the silicone rubber should NEVER come into contact with hot alky vapors NEVER!!!

If you want a recipe for some decent whiskey I can give 1 or 20

I have a copper reflux still (Clawhammer)and that looks like a fancy stainless steel version of the same. I'm fairly sure hes trying to show how to make sake' or something like it. What he was doing is beyond me (unless theres some other video "part" we cant see)because he puts dry "grain?" in the bag after what seems to be one scoop of liquid, might have been multiple but cut down in the video for time- water Im assuming right now. He left out the process of milling ,mashing, yeast pitch,ferment, strain/rack, nothing even close... UNLESS, the liquid he put in the vessel was already previously distilled and the "media" he put in the bag was something to flavor the distillate and hes re-distilling it through the media to both flavor it and refine it. As dry as it was , I would think it would soak up all that little amount of liquid before it would ever distill out. Other than that , who knows. Thats not how my reflux still works.

UNLESS, the liquid he put in the vessel was already previously distilled and the "media" he put in the bag was something to flavor the distillate and hes re-distilling it through the media to both flavor it and refine it.

This something I was trying to figure out if it works. But wouldn’t it require the media to be suspended above the liquid surface/in the vapors?

Like oil extraction steam distillers have the biomass suspended in a chamber above the boil chamber?

yes, remember he put the liquid in the (false)bottom first before the bag of media went in. that tiny scoop of liquid ,if it was only one ,wasnt enough to vaporize up through that dry media to amount to anything. it would all be absorbed before it would steam out from under the false bottom . its baffling for sure(uh, no pun intended, then again...maybe I did) .

Some make gin with a gin basket in the vapor path, I macerate mine in neutral before running.
Both work but as mentioned he didn't put enough "liquid" to do diddly squat.

So you include your gin spices in the low wines when doing the spirit run?

Mine is a long ass process since I don't have a reflux colum, I strip 3 12.5 gal runs of a AG mash down to low wines.
Then do a spirit run and keep nothing but the cleanest hearts which is around 4 gallons off the spirit run.
I macerate the botanicals in the hearts and then run the lot making strict cuts.

Depending on the cuts I get around 1.5 gal of gin.

I forgot to mention, I break out the little 5 gal copper pot for the run.

I toss the heads and tails from the previous runs into the feints jug and when I get 5 gal, I run to clean up and make panty dropper and apple pie.

What botanicals are typically used for gin?

I know you can buy vodka infusion kits to make gin. And the primary is Juniper berries…

Curious what else you might use.

Juniper
licorice root
rose petals
English lavender flowers
nasturtium flowers
coriander
rose hips
peppercorns
orange leaves
lemon leaves
lemon grass
orange zest
lemon zest
lime zest
any zest

The point is there isn't much you CAN'T use in your GIN.

Play with it and find what you like. Here is what is AWESOME about making GIN. If you don't like what you made.... RUN IT AGAIN and make it Neutral :) Then try it again :)

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Creating poison!
The still is a POS and the silicone rubber should NEVER come into contact with hot alky vapors NEVER!!!

If you want a recipe for some decent whiskey I can give 1 or 20
just question ,,where he use silicone rubber with hot vapors ?
these tubes only act like in/out of chiller ,that second tube is chiler

and video is self explanatory in country that is illegal to make alc

he put in water and grains over to take essence of it ,to get flavored water
or oils in water ,all legal to make parfume or like ,,,
and later on he give explanation how to use it for rest

dont over fill 60% max of stuff u want distill
watch temp all time ,when to turn on cooling
how to use device ,assembly etc

i got one of these ,,easy to use and maintance is 0
just clean pot after and go
u can use pot for fermentation too
then just turn heat under ,put reflux part on and distill