Can someone check my OG and SG work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
two weeks and 6 days ago I pitched a pale ale recipe that is as follows:

3.3 LBS Maris Otter LME (Alexander's, I believe) (15 mins)
3 LBS Wheat DME (Munton's) (15 mins)
1 LB Caramel Malt (steeped, 40 lovibond)
1 oz centennial (60)
1 oz centennial (15)
1 oz centennial (0)
1 oz centennial (dry hopped 6 days ago)
Safale S-04 yeast

fermented close to 70, according to my fermometer. I tried to keep it down with bottles of ice. It's currently about 69 degrees F.

Original gravity came out to 1.048
Today I took my first reading since.
It came out to 1.010

I had a beer prior to this that fermented to 1.010 using nottinghams, but used extra pale DME, coming in at around 1.055 (OG). I would have expected a lower gravity reading is what I'm getting at for a beer at this point in fermentation with an OG of 1.048.

I ask because I'm experiencing the dry hopping phenomena where CO2 seems to be escaping from the beer in the primary. The quantity of bubbles in the airlock looks something like I'd expect to see during the first week.

I was hoping to bottle tomorrow. I want to get it off the dry hops before it gets grassy. I will of course be taking a second reading tomorrow, but I don't expect to see a change in the SG within 24 hours time. I can also assume that it's not infected; the sample tasted good (dare I say great!).

What am I looking at here people?

1) are my gravity readings pretty close?

2) can anyone give me a prediction of what the FG should be close to?

3) could there possibly be any resource of homebrewing information better than HBT? :mug:

thanks in advance and always.

1.010 means you had apparent attenuation of 79%. Normal attenuation for US-04 is about 75% so your numbers sound very good. Check your gravity tomorrow and if it is still 1.010 you are done.

I had a beer prior to this that fermented to 1.010 using nottinghams, but used extra pale DME, coming in at around 1.055 (OG). I would have expected a lower gravity reading is what I'm getting at for a beer at this point in fermentation with an OG of 1.048.

You really can't make these sorts of comparisons. You can make the same recipe twice and get two different FGs. Granted, they'll probably be close. But it's very probable they won't be equal.

Every batch of beer is different. Yeast is a living organism and will not follow some strict set of rules.

Basically, your beer is just fine and is most likely done fermenting. If you're uneasy, just make sure the gravity is stable for three days.

Back